Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tracking a possible bad ground on my temp gauge. It pegs hot when the headlights are turned on with the engine not running. How is is grounded in the console? Anyone have a picture of the gauge wiring?

·
Retired
16,013 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks click. The diagram confirmed what I thought. The temp ground is a common ground with the fuel gauge ground. It seems to have fixed the problem once connected properly. I had the ground screwed basically to plastic.:clonk:

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I had the ground screwed basically to plastic.
I used to own a fibreglass company and moved into making beach buggys on a VW floor pan..
The 1st one the guys assembled then I started to design/ make up /install the wiring looms for it....yeah and as staff do, dig at the boss, took bets if everything would work on the 1st turn of the ign,,,,And as bosses do... have a big ego and confidence everything will
The end of the day came, in therory everything should work, drop the battery in
NOTHING!!!!
The guys then realy rubbed it in lol
Everything on a VW is earthed (grounded ) thu the body rather than have separate ground wires....And the Buggy body is firberglass ....

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the above diagram is great.

I have a question regarding the low fuel light warning module. Am I correct in assuming that the way the module works is that it senses somewhere close to 12V and then opens an electronic gate which allows the yellow (low fuel bulb hot side) to pass thru to the ground and light?

The reason I ask is that the module is like $60 and was wondering if it is anything more than a transistor gate setup?

Has anyone opened one up just see what is inside the silly thing?

thanks

alan

·
Premium Member
10,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wondered what that was on the inside. Thought it was a diode fence.:D

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Gary, I will bet you that inside that black plastic can is 60 cents of diodes and maybe a transistor. Anyone got an old one that could be disected?

alan

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
The low fuel module is a comparator circuit of some sort. Essentially it says when the sender reading is below a certain level, light the bulb. Now days, to build something like that could be done with an op-amp or a comparitor, a transistor, and about 4 resistors. Back then it was probably a flip-flop circuit made of two transistors and a few resistors.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hey... that's my old thread! ;)

Alan... did you get the diagram I emailed you?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
No problem. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts