Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,happy new year.I'am gathering parts to put 2004r in my 67.I know I have to get a console harness,but where does it hook in to under the dash?is there a free connection for this.Also looked at Rick's and it sez I would need a harness extension.And pics out there?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: console wiring

no one?guess I'll over to chevelle site.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts

Sorry but have no idea what a 2004r is.

·
Super Moderator
32,348 Posts

There is an extension harness needed as a without gauges and with gauges harnesses are different and extension harness hooks to those same monitoring functions but require different sending units.

Without gauges: speedo, fuel gauge, OIL, GEN, BRAKE, and TEMP lights and their electrical sending units (switches) for the OIL & TEMP lights.
With console gauges: speedo, tach, BRAKE light, then the consoles monitoring the same light functions from above.
So a different inst cluster is used as well as dash harness.
However, a console gauge set-up can be wired in.
Oil pressure requires running an oil line.
Fuel gauge can use the same sending unit.
Ammeter is its own circuit and can be hooked up without a problem.
Temperature gauge will need a gauge s/unit in the cyl head vice a switch for the light.

I'm sure others here familiar with the additional material can give better advice.

·
Retired
16,005 Posts

and please remember it was a holiday weekend and most folks were enjoying family and friends and football and cheer :beers: activity on ALL auto forums was probably much lower too. Patience Japeto ;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks Everret,that helps some.I know I will have to get a n/s from shiftworks.I see it has wires from it,and I know I will need a harness for the console.Just trying to fig if They are seperate,if so do they go to same connection under dash.The car is orig 3 speed in the flr.

·
Retired
16,005 Posts

A console harness is wired from the factory with connections direct to senders. Adding a console harness can be done if you follow the diagrams.
This shows you that all the console wires go to the plug, which then plugs into the primary harness wire plug, which is already wired into the sending units and connections in the main fuse panel where required.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Click that really helps,so there should be one connector,hanging free under dash?

·
Retired
16,005 Posts
Yes if it was "orginally" a console car from the factory. The factory would see 'console' on the order sheet and grab the complete wire harness that was built with that console wire harness as part of it. If the car was originally NOT a console car, that extra plug and wiring wont be there to connect too. Then you are on your own trying to duplicate all the wires going to the right places.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess I'am on my own,this was a plane jane 1bbl 230 three spd in the flr.Well i will get it done.Thanks all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sad to say yes you are pretty much on your own. I have a 67 that was original 6 cyl with a/c column shift. Now it's and RS with v8 floor shifter and console gauges. Gauges all had to be wired in manually but it can be done. Now I am currently replacing the whole chassis harness so this time around won't be as difficult. You may want to look into that depending on condition of the harness in your car. Good luck!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok,I think I can wire this in.But would like to know if the pl & plw wires are in my harnes now?if so then done deal.

·
Super Moderator
32,348 Posts
Since the car was a floor shift 3-spd, the purple & purple/white wires would be part of the dash harness and since a '67, not connected to any safety switch, as in clutch pedal, or was not an automatic equipped, so, leaving the OE design may be the key. Otherwise, pick a convenient point and wire in neutral safety switch.

The reverse lights are a plug next to the gas pedal and may go to the trans switch. Those will have to be rerouted to console shifter neutral safety switch to work, power on pink wire with light green going to rev lights int he body harness.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Everett,I have one more question,I'am looking at a wiring diagrame for a 67 camaro,and I see the pl wire,but no pplw,does that change anything? thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts