Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ijust put a console with the factory gauges.Are the 4 speed console and the auto the same other than the shift plates.My 68 was a auto but now is a 4 speed with a hurst shifter.I just got a new shift handle from a speed shop and they said it was the one for a 68 or 69 camaro with console.The one that was on it was to short to come threw the console.But now with the new handle it rubs on the side of the console and don,t seem to go all the way in to 2nd or 4th.Is this just an adjustment of the linkage or have i got the wrong console or handle. Thanks for any info DIRK

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
68's used Muncie shifters, 69's used Hurst shifters. Don't know if you can mix the shifters and the attachments to the transmissions and not have interference problems.

The consoles used with 4 speeds and autos are the same, except for the Shift plates, and internal wiring harnesses.

·
Registered
298 Posts
your 2 & 4 problem is an adjustment problem. You might have the stops set wrong but more than likely you will need to rotate the shifter body forward at the tranny mount and readjust your rods to fit the new location, and reset the stops. As far as the rubbing on the side...I'm not sure with out seeing it.
Roger

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had the same problem. My 69 coupe was factory equipped w/console shifted 3-speed. Was converted to 4-speed in 1974. Always had problems w/2-4 shift. Recently, I have restored the car. The plastic extension under the console shift plate on the original 3-speed had all the rake from the rear of the car towards the front. The new plastic extension under the shifter plate for a 4-speed car is centerline with the hole in the shifter plate. Was using a Hurst Competition Plus shifter at the time. Plan to re-use the same shifter. Hope to have pictures of the car soon. Exterior is complete. Driveline, wiring and interior are left. Factory color is Fathom Green.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts