Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to replace my OEM control arm bushing with new rubber OEM style bushings. I know a bunch of you have done this so what is the best way to remove the old bushings and install the new ones?

Removal
(1) Can I just drive them out with a big hammer?
(2) Can I drill out the rubber and drive out the metal sleeve or do they need to pressed out with a heavy duty shop press?

Installation
(1) Can I drive them in?
(2) Use a bench vise to press them in?
(3) Buy a shop press to press them in?

I'm also going to replace the ball joints and so for the lower control arms, same question, what's the best way to R&R the pressed in lower ball joints? I'd prefer not to have to take these to a shop to have this done, but if a multi-ton shop press is required it may be cheaper to take them to the shop than buying a press from HF, but then again, at an expected $100+/hr for labor maybe not. I'm all ears and welcome any experience you can offer.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,591 Posts
The video is informative. I've used various sizes of pipe
and sockets as Andrew said. Most often removal is the
most difficult. Not unusual to use an air chisel for
removal due to rust. For install I've used all of the above
plus a BFH and a press. Whatever was available at the
time. Just use common sense so as not to deform the
control arm(s).

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Air chisel to remove. Done in no time....

Don

Reactions: allanjs

·
Registered
52 Posts
You can buy new control arms complete with the bushings and ball joints already installed which could save you time and labor.

·
14,704 Posts
The Ridetech removal and install tool makes easy work of it

Well worth the $100 they charge. I have it and have used it several times

·
Registered
14 Posts
I burn them out with a propane torch. It makes a mess but the shells are easy to get out. Half the time they just knock out with a light hammering. Much easier than the air chisel.

·
10,160 Posts
My buddy removed his stock upper A arm bushings with a pipe wrench. Just grabbed the lip with the pipe wrench and twisted them out. Said it took no time.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions. Sounds like order of ease/fun will be (1) pipe wrench, (2) air chisel and finally use up some of the all-thread rod I have laying around and make a tool like shown in the video (money saved will cover the beverages consumed during the process).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts