Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a Z11 and this is my first convertible.
-The conv top does not seem to fold all the way down, making the top boot a pain to put on - is there something I should look for as an obstruction?
-There were a new set of torsion cables in the trunk, where do these mount?
-The top boot has inside snaps at the front but is missing the interior studs, where do the studs mount on the side panel?
-Also, I saw some manual top hold down latches in a catalog (to use when the top is retracted). Are they correct and where do they mount?
Thanks in advance.

·
11,873 Posts
Dave, First thing, power top or manual?

-The conv top does not seem to fold all the way down, making the top boot a pain to put on - is there something I should look for as an obstruction? They really don't go down all the way like new cars. Make sure you fold the latches back the latched position before you put the top all the way down, this will keep the J-hooks from sticking up.
-There were a new set of torsion cables in the trunk, where do these mount? they mount along the top pads (replace them when top is replaced)
-The top boot has inside snaps at the front but is missing the interior studs, where do the studs mount on the side panel? if you need measurements, I can get them, let me know
-Also, I saw some manual top hold down latches in a catalog (to use when the top is retracted). Are they correct and where do they mount? They mount inside the side wells and only for manual tops.

Any other questions?

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My top is a manual.
I'm not sure that the top has torsion cables installed at all. Where would they be located if they are present?
Concerning the manual hold down latches, they mount inside the area that the top retracts into?

·
11,873 Posts
Dave, they run on the inside of the top from the rear bow to either the center bow or the header bow. Look (feel around) between the pad and the canvas top right above the door top frame .

Yes, the manual latches are used to keep the top from springing open. They are located in each side well (by qtr window) at the front. the manual top has a spring assembly instead of the power top cyl. the latch catches on the folded side parts. Tough to explain. If you don't have them the top could spring open unexpectedly.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver

·
Registered
48 Posts
about those top boot studs, there should be holes factory drilled into the upholstery covering the convertible well. chances are that the person who replaced the vinyl didn't worry about punching the holes in it. just feel around the back for some holes (you might have to put some pressure on the vinyl that may be covering it. then punch a hole in the vinyl and tap the hole.

Garrett M.
68 Convertible

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.