Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the majority of the old threads on this subject but I am still confused. I have a stock wiring harness, factory tachometer, factory console gauges. I am converting to a GM HEI ignition system and a Delco CS 130 alternator. After reading several post, I think I know what to do with the alternator but, I am still confused if I can use my factory tach and ammeter. Is this possible, if so how?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You can use the factory tach with a HEI. simply connect the tach wire to the terminal marked tach on the HEI. I did not do anything to the ammeter when I changed alternators, But I must say I do not know if my ammeters even work. I never see it move. with or without the external regulator.

TTFN
Mat

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
As above with tach, my factory ampmeter works fine with a self regualted alternater
I just used a jumper wire between terminals on the back of the alternater, connected the big read to the nut connector and other wire to 3rd termal and dont use one of them
sry description a bit breif but will have to look to see which is which wire
described in detail in older posts about 6 /8 months ago

·
Registered
996 Posts
Here's mine
Deleted regulator

The tach, and amp gauge work fine. The amp gauge is just a very low voltage voltmeter, it measures the difference between the alternator output, and battery. The connection nearest the alternator has a small amount more volts, therefore the meter shows +.
I would, if I were you, fuse both ends of the amp gauge wires. If they short out the fuse will blow, instead of your car starting on fire. From the factory they are not fused.
Dale

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input, I've been working all day on the harness, did I mention I'm kind of slow, hopefully I'll get her started tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Picture of the alternator

Dale

1 - 6 of 6 Posts