Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a front disc brake conversion on my 67 camaro with drum brakes. I was given a pretty much complete set off of a 69 GTO. My question is do I use both the metering valve and the proportioning valve that came off this setup? The proportioning valve mounted to the frame right under the front of the firewall (will this mount the same in my camaro?) Also the brake hoses mounted to the side of the frame on the 69 GTO, is this where i should mount them on my 67 camaro (I assume there is not an existing hole for the bolt to hold the bracket) I ordered some disc brakes hoses for a 69 GTO, hope these will fit (guess I should have checked first). Sorry if I confused with this post, I just was thinking about some of the questions i have off the top of my head.

Almost forgot. Should I order the 69 camaro caliper or 69 GTO caliper?

Thanks for the info.

Kevin

67 Camaro rs 327/TH350/8.5" 10 bolt 3.73 posi

·
Registered
1,988 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now I am really confused :confused: :confused: A couple weeks ago I posted the question and was told this setup would work if I used the steering arms from my camaro, so I spent the time to take them off the car and spend all this money for new bearings, seals, backing plates, master cylinder. power booster, and brake calipers. In this case I hope you are wrong choptop :rolleyes: If anyone has used this setup before to convert to disc brakes please reply. Thanks

Kevin
67 Camaro rs
327/TH350/8.5" 10 bolt 3.73 posi

·
Registered
64 Posts
Kevin,
The GTO brakes will fit. Just swap your steering arms.

The calipers for a '67 Camaro are a four piston design, thus you'll need to use the '69 GTO calipers (or '69 Camaro calipers).

Joe

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phewwww! Thanks for that Joe
Anyways I am not sure if I should order the 69 camaro or the 69 GTO brake hoses. I have read somewhere that one is longer than the other and wonder if I needed a longer one. I could also just mount it like the GTO had it mounted and drill a hole in the frame to mount the bracket that holds the hose. That way I know the GTO hoses will work :D Sound like a plan?

Kevin

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by Sixty-Seven rs:
Phewwww! Thanks for that Joe
Anyways I am not sure if I should order the 69 camaro or the 69 GTO brake hoses. I have read somewhere that one is longer than the other and wonder if I needed a longer one. I could also just mount it like the GTO had it mounted and drill a hole in the frame to mount the bracket that holds the hose. That way I know the GTO hoses will work :D Sound like a plan?

Kevin
I did this exact swap on my '67. I used the 69 GTO calipers and brake hoses. I basically consider it a '69 Goat when it comes to parts replacement.

I didn't use either the proportioning valve or the distribution block. I used a T block for the front lines and switched to smaller wheel cylinders in the rear. This was enough to balance the system.

It was a power drum to power disk swap.

Bob.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Sorry Kevin, I didn't mean to try and throw you off! I've just never seen the GTO parts listed as swappable before even though the Grand Prix is known to work (why wouldn't they use the same base parts on both cars?). I just like to err on the side of caution so I don't mislead. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts