Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guy's my hydraulic lift cylinders leak at the seal between the actuating rod and the cylinder. My question is; can these cylinders be rebuilt and the seal changed. If so how.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Hey Rick - since you've installed the top by yourself I'm sure you could tackle the cylinders.
I've rebuilt them before and they are not hard to do - a couple snap rings and seals and you're done.
The catch is the condition of the cylinder bore and shaft - if they have been left dry for any amount of time they can have rust pits that will cause leaks again real soon. Inspect your cylinders carefully to be sure they are worth rebuilding.
I believe the kits are still availble from www.convertibleparts.com and they have replacement cylinder pairs if you need them.
Good luck in your work - let evryone know what you found.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not so easy! I've rebuilt my own and I can tell you it's more trouble than worth.
First, because the seals are captive on the extending shaft you need to open the aluminum
body. The body is swaged over the seal housing, removal is accomplished using a lathe to
remove the material that is "swaged" into a groove on the seal housing. Once you separate
the seal housing from the body you will have access to the end of the shaft. There is a
nut on the end that holds the plunger and its' seal. By removing the nut and plunger you
will be able to pull the extending shaft through the seal housing and then replace the seals
and O ring.

Now you need to re-assemble and finally re-swage the housing into the groove. Again, back
to the lathe and carefully press in the upper portion of the body while turning the assembly
to work the metal into the groove.

If you are still interested in doing this I can provide you with the part numbers for the seal and
O rings.

Hope this information helps.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rasp67 how about posting the part numbers. I will probably go ahead and try it. I've got nothing to lose. If I break it, I'll just get new ones, like I would have had to, to begin with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
RickB1B,

I can mail you the O rings. I had to buy something like 20 at a time. You will need
to buy the seals. I will provide you the manufacturer and part number for the seal.
Drop me an email with your mailing address
and I will hook u up.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Rick & rasp;

Sorry to make this sound like such a slam-dunk project, but my cylinders were like the ones discribed in this recent post.

http://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=000278

The top of the main cylinders is swedged over as rasp says but, the leak was at the shaft as Rick said.

rasp - If you could post the man. and part number for the seal on here, this post could be put in the convert. section for reference in the future.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
rasp;

Thanks for the reply! The O-rings are industry standard numbers (112,128 & 221) so I can find them locally! The CR Seal should also not be to hard to track down on the 'Left Coast', if I can't find them out here I'll order from your guy.
This will make much easier next time I have to do this, I won't have to order the kit with just an o-ring and a seal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts