Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Welcome aboard JB!

The frame for the top is different between a manual and a power top (if I understand correctly). You will need to pick up a power top frame off ebay or the for sale ads here. You might also try posting a wanted ad. There is a lot more information on this here in the forums just do a search and be sure to check under all the different sections. Convertible information seems to pop up everywhere.

I just got through installing a pump, lift cylinders, hoses, and wiring in my 68 as someone had stripped most of the components at some time in the cars past. I would say it is definetly worth the effort to do the conversion. It sure is nice just pressing a switch to raise and lower the top.

I've seen several power top frames on ebay over the last year so you shouldn't have any trouble finding one.

<edit>
Oh by the way... you might want to check your frame and make sure it is a manual frame. I thought my car was a manual top until I read some of the posts here and found pictures of the differences. If you'll go to http://www.dre-si.com/68ss/activitylog/20020920/main.html I've got some pics of my frame when I discovered the good news.
</edit>

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and advice MytMini, i did a search and found some pics of power top setup and it looks like the same setup, except i have springs were the cylinders should be. All the mounts are there for the pump and line brackets, so i'm hoping that it was converted in its past. Before i install it i need to figure a way to test the parts i got. Thanks again.

·
Registered
971 Posts
As Donald stated, the top frame is different between a manual and power top. If you have a manual top, to switch it you WILL need to replace the top frame also. I wouldn't bother. The work and EXPENCE would not justify the conversion. IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts