Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 Convertible Camaro RS. The bonnet/ cover uses plastic clips to hold down the cover to the chrome trim.
I can not get all of the clips to snap down and stay down. It looks like crap when part of the cover is sticking up.
I even tried adding more clips to the areas that were coming up to provide it more strength. That helped but did not solve the problem.
I did see some earlier GM convertibles that use a plastic strip that inserts between the body and the molding. These setups make the cover look perfect.

Has anyone tried this conversion?
Does anyone have any tips to get my cover to stay down better?
Thanks,
jrager

------------------

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a repro convertible top boot and have found that it doesn't want to fit over the top when it's lowered and it is really hard to attach the plastic clips (my car is a '67). I hope someone will answer your post on a good way to make the boot work and look nice. I may need to remove some of the foam padding to get it to fit. If it were possible to find an ORIGINAL boot, would it fit any better?

·
Registered
111 Posts
jrager,

The plastic clips will crack in the center over time. I just had to replace all my clips for the very same reason. After replacement, I've had no issues. Restoration dealer said that he normally had to replace his every 3 years due to the cracking. Check them out, hopefully this is the problem because its easy enough to fix.

·
Retired
26,641 Posts
I think even if all the clips hold you won't get the cover to lay flat!! I have never seen orig or repro that really looked good when snapped in place. I may be taking mine to an upolstry shop to see if it can be modified to lay smooth...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The best cover I have seen was on early 70's convertible cheveys (not camaros).
They used a plastic incert that went in between the chrome and the body.

Maybe I should try removing all of my clips and try incerting the plastic into the molding.

I have seen a 70 Chevel that had this and it looked very clean.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I replaced my top boot for my 69 with one from NPD. After putting the plastic clips on it fit like a glove. Being new, I had to let it sit in the sun alittle bit to stretch. The boot sits flat all around. I guess I'm lucky.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
There are a couple of things to consider here.
1/ The reproduction items are never as good as the originals and hence there will be differences in fit. Not only with top boots.

2/ The originals were never a perfect fit anyway, I've had and still have original conv's and their top boots, the fit isn't all that great.

We have to live with, and accept certain things in life. But, if it helps, I would certainly get that top boot out one day and place it in the sun for 24 hours and let it relax..it will help!!
Good luck.....Ken

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have the same problem with my boot, the side clips are fine, just the back ones are pulled so tight the just pull loose, I think a new top contributes a little to the tight fit and was thinking of going to a upholstery shop and seeing if they could "make one to fit" oh well

------------------
69 rallye green X77 Z/28,1967 SS 396 Conv. 1974 c-10 454 swb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts