Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the procedure for refilling the pump and bleeding it? It looks like the pump has to be removed to get at the plug. Do I then reinstall and operate the top a few times?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Rick,
The Fisher Body Manual has a procedure for bleeding the pump under the Folding Top section. It suggests cutting the tip off a spare rubber plug, then running through the hole in the center of the plug to a jar filled with transmission fluid. Then operate the top up and down until the pump noise quiets down and the top moves freely.
I bought a rebuild kit from Rick's First Gen to get a spare plug. Seemed to work okay, but somehow I blew my pump motor, which was new. I figure either the motor was defective, or I overheated it by running it continuously for a long time (I had a lot of air in the lines). Also, be careful of bubbles in the lines. A mechanic told me if you see the fluid start bubbling during the bleeding process, you should quit for a few hours until they dissapate. I don't know if that's the reason why my pump blew, but it might be. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much fluid do you put in? I am replacing one of the cylinders.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No specific amount. Just fill the jar with fluid and work the switch until the pump motor quiets down and the top moves up and down easily.
You can also watch the lines. You should be able to see when they are full.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts