Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My spring project will be to rebuild the top on my '68. I've read all of the posts and have experienced many of the same problems as the others with burned out switches, high current draw, etc. Not having much faith in the pump, I will replace it first.
I'm trying to find drawings and/or instructions showing how the top is mechanically assembled and installed. My copies of the shop and service manuals don't include the convertible top.
My fabric is fairly new and was on the car when I purchased it. However, The material that the fabric is stapled to on the intermediate bows (tack strip?) is breaking loose from the frame. Is this the tack strip? Can I replace it without completely removing the fabris?
The well fabric is not properly installed and originally prevented the top from seating properly in the well when opened. I can't find any documentation showing how it should be installed. What holds in onto the top of the seat back? Mine just hangs into the well and looks terrible when viewed through the back window with the top up. Can I expect to remove the top and well fabric and reinstall it without ruining it? It also appears that the tight well fabric caused the well pinchweld molding to pull up and into the well slightly. My pinchweld molding also has snaps attached to it for the boot. Was this done at the factory? Most catalogs I've seen sell clip on boots. Is the snap on style an aftermarket item?
I appreciate any information I can get.

·
11,665 Posts
Oh boy! Are you in for it :)

Tack strip is the correct term. You should get replacements from a local trim shop or you can buy it online, but I think the repro stuff is not the same size. To replace the tack strip material, you must take the top off the tack strip. If ALL your strips are bad (rear, middle bow, header bow), then you need to take the top all the way off. Sorry.

You really need to get the Fisher Body service manual. The folding top in chap 13. A must read before you tackle this!

BTW, the well fabric get stapled to the rear tack strip 1st! :) And the snaps on the stainless are a modification (not factory)

·
Registered
862 Posts
You really need to get the Fisher Body service manual. The folding top in chap 13. A must read before you tackle this!
I totally agree. The Fisher Body service manual will even show you how to rebuild the pump motor if need be. I rebuilt a pump motor back in mid 80's using the manual. It started running again &, it ran great for years afterword.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I agree as well, the fisher manual is the first thing you need.

It's possible to remove or partially remove the top and put it back, but...
The last bow is the only place the top gets stapled through (that shows) So, you can't move that row of staples, it would have to go back on in the same place it came off. You would be able to tighten it up at the windshield header if you need to, and it's no sweat taking the rear bottom edge off and putting it back on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent idea! I'll buy the Fisher Body Service Manual. I hadn't realized that there was a Body Manual in addition to the Chassis and Overhaul manuals I already have. I should just have me tax refund sent directly to Ricks...

Has anyone got an pictures showing how the well fabric attaches to the seat back? Is there a trim piece that goes over it? What do yours look like from the rear?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I initially cemented mine when I first got the car. However, it then prevented the top from going all the way into the well. Most likely I'll need new well fabric.

The screws don't look like the proper finish unless there is a piece of trim that goes between them and the fabric to finish it off nicely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts