Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I am starting to wonder if I should get this '69 rear end for my '67. It is multi-leaf (not an issue) and has 4:11 gears (way too low) and non-posi. He wants $1000 for it.

My question is - 2 fold: 1 - is converting it to posi as simple as bolting in a posi carrier and 2 - is the process of changing the carrier and ring and pinion as difficult as some say (read get a pro to do it)???

THanks

Bill

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
The old "is it worth it" question really has to be explored carefully when dealing with classic car parts. Specially ones as hard to find at times like a 12-bolt axle ...
You need to examine the axle to be sure it has no outward damage, is the part/casting number(s) & dates you are looking for and is as advertized. Remember that these axles often lived a hard life in the vehicles they were installed in - so check it carefully ...
$1k for a housing is a little more than I would normally pay unless it had a complete brake system and was intact & working - but, I'm quickly approaching purchases closer to that price all the time.
As a matter of course, I disassemble any axle I get and inspect the gears, bearings and axle shafts anyway - so opening up and refreshing an assembly is a normal added expense in most cases with me and not considered in the price.
The cost of a bearing and installation kit and the cost of the correct gears is really not that much of an additional expense in restoring a 12-bolt - or any other rear end.
The cost of a new Posi is also not prohibitive - they all run somewhere in the $500+ range.

If it fits your needs and is in good condition, I would buy it and go through it.
You can do this yourself - it's not "rocket-surgery" and there are several on here that will help talk you through it.
You could also contact Big Gear Head (aka Freddy) on the boards about furnishing you with the Posi, gearing you need and the install kit for it. He has helped many on here and will be glad to help you. Here is his profile on the board - http://www.camaros.net/forums/member.php?u=1922

Hope some of this helps

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
This is when you start to thinking. A used 12-bolt is $1000 and to add posi and gears, you are looking at another $1000. You can buy a new 12-bolt from Moser or others for about $2000. Which should you do ? I think Big Gear Head is a dealer for Moser. Ask him what to do.

PART # DESCRIPTION PRICE
BOLT-IN 9" FORD HOUSING AND AXLE PACKAGES
BPHP1 Most Housing Types 885
Mustangs (1979-2004) and Fox Body Fords
GM 'A' Body
GM 'G' Body
GM 'F' Body NO torque arm
1959-1964 Full Size Chevy
GM Mono-leaf & Multi-Leaf
1955-1957 Chevy
B9HP2 GM 'F' Body (with torque arm bracket) 985
*9" Ford Bolt-In Packages include new, heavy duty housing cores, seamless steel tubing (3" OD, 1/4" wall), new brackets and new housing ends, Custom Alloy Axles, wheel bearings, standard size wheel studs, and retainer plates.
Prices subject to change

12 BOLT HOUSING AND AXLE PACKAGE

If you’re not looking for a complete 12 Bolt and feel like tackling your own differential setup, try our housing and axle package. The package includes a Moser newly cast nodular iron housing, Custom Alloy Axles (30 or 33 spline), ball bearings, up to 1/2” studs and heavy duty retainer plates.

PART # DESCRIPTION PRICE
B12HP2 12 Bolt Bolt-In Housing & Axle Package Includes 12 Bolt Housing with brackets, new housing ends, Custom Alloy Axles, wheel bearings, wheel studs, and retainer plates. 1295
Prices subject to change

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
You can put a posi in it for $425 plus $62 for bearings and shims. You will need to know what 4.11 gears are in it. If it has the thin ring gear then you will need a 4 series posi. If it has the thick ring gear then you will need a 3 series posi. To install the posi all you will have to do is check the backlash before removing the old differential and shim the new one so that the backlash is the same. If you change the ring & pinion gears too then you will have to set the pinion depth, bearing preload and backlash to get the correct contact pattern. You will need to know how to read the pattern so that you will know what adjustments need to be made to the pinion depth. There are a few tools that you will need to do the job, like a dial indicator with a magnetic base, and a press.

A new Moser 12 bolt with the Eaton posi, gear ratio of your choice, 30 spline c clip axles, chrome cover and 1310 yoke assembled is $1900 plus shipping.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am hearing a lot about the Moser rear ends and it would be great but since I am working towards the Yenko tribute, I am wondering how close to stock these look. Believe me, I would like to get the Moser and be done with it but originality is the concern (kind of a funny statement when building a clone I know).

So how much different do the Mosers look?

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
The Moser has the vent in the left axle tube instead of being on the right side on the center casting. There is a place in the casting where the vent could be installed, but the hole would have to be drilled. The axle tubes are fully welded and there are no plug welds in the Moser rear end. The housing ends look a little bit different, but you would have to look hard to see it. Other than that they look about the same.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay - now I am intrigued. My worry is that I put all of this work into recreating an accurate clone of a Yenko and then when it goes on the block, there's an obviously non-original 12 bolt glaring at potential bidders. I will search out some pics of the Moser.

So it really looks that close to the original?

Sorry for the dumb questions...

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts