Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 1969 camaro that I'm converting to a manual. My old tranny was a powerglide, shifted on the steering column. Besides removing the shifter what else do I need to do to the steering column so that everything will work correctly? I've read threads about having to turn the column but I didn't understand it too well.

Thanks folks

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
first off- a "3 on the tree" is slang for a 3 speed manual with the shifter up on the column. they are good fun to drive, and even more fun to watch people try to figure out.
to make the new trans setup "work", all you need to do is make sure the column is turned to the "park" position so the key will come out and the neutral safety switch will work properly.

·
Super Moderator
32,768 Posts
You would also have to move the neutral safety switch from bottom of the column just inside the firewall to the console shifter. Lengthening of the wire harness, as reverse lights are also included, may have to happen.

Once the shift mechanism is moved and working, and as derrick suggests, a lockout rod will have to go from the trans shift lever to the column so when in Park, the key can be removed when in Locked position. I believe also, the detent plate in the column will have to be replaced/modified since the car is originally column shift. Take your column shift lever and run it thriugh the gears and I believe you have to pull back on the lever to lock it in place. The lockout rod will have to do the same thing, but it can't & won't pull back the lever to lock.

If you are not looking for orginality, you could forget the lockout rod and permanently tie up the column shifter in PARK so you can remove the key. Otherwise, you will have to change out the column if you want to remove all signs of column shift.

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew 3 on the tree wasn't right but couldn't think of how to put it.. Gotcha now, sorry its been a long day. This is what I need to know. The trans is a t-56. Does that change the needed location of neutral safety switch

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
well, the best place for a neutral safety switch on a manual trans car is on the clutch pedal- that way, you can only start it if you push the clutch in. if you can find one, use a factory style switch. if you can't find one, a heavy duty microswitch can do the job.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
The 69 clutch safety switch is reproduced now. This is what factory manual trans 69s had.

Rick's # SW-16 for the switch, SW-21 for the rod, about $50 total.

The rotating of the column you read about is to turn on the reverse lights, unless you can get and use the 4-speed interlock parts. You can use the reverse lamp circuit only on your existing column NSS, but you'll have to manually rotate the lower column to turn on the backup lights.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Oh, well...

The T-56 should have a reverse light switch built into the side of it, and you'll just have to extend the wires from your old column mounted switch to reach the T-56 switch.

And, to wrap it all up, you'd use the heavy wires on you column mounted NSS to hook to the clutch safety switch in my pic above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts