Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed Serpentine Belt system off a 1989 Caprice and discovered that the water pump has no heater outlet, I also discovered that it is reverse rotation. Any suggestion
on a replacement water pump. I am still puzzled what to do about reverse rotation water pump. Will a standard rotation not work. Very Puzzled how it works?
thanking in advance
rjrock

·
Retired
26,640 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rjrock:
I removed Serpentine Belt system off a 1989 Caprice and discovered that the water pump has no heater outlet, I also discovered that it is reverse rotation. Any suggestion
on a replacement water pump. I am still puzzled what to do about reverse rotation water pump. Will a standard rotation not work. Very Puzzled how it works?
thanking in advance
rjrock
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the opposition to reverse flow? It's one of the design changes that progres has brought the the SBC that has allowed more power, better gas mileage and able to pass smog doing the other things mentioned...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i plan to omit the smog pump, I found a web page that shows how to route the serpentine belt (http://sethirdgen.org/serpentine.htm)
These are my accessories: alternator, A/c,
and power steering.
Can you please help me verify the Belt Part Number that will work with these accessories... thanks again

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i think (but not sure) a water pump for a serpentine equipped camaro will have the heater outlet, or you could put a nipple on the side tank of the radiator like the caprice had.
DJD- the reverse rotation water pump still flows the same way, but the impeller is designed to run backwards from engine rotation. this doesn't affect cooling ability or increase power, it just makes it possible to use a serpentine belt around all the accessories.
or maybe you thought he said he took it off his caprice for whatever reason- he used the caprice as a parts car, to put on his camaro or whatever.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,642 Posts
rjrock, get a water pump off of a 88 or so chevy pick up 305 (at your parts house), this pump is reverse flow and has an outlet for your heater hose. I have this one on mine. It has to be a long water pump, corvette (short) won't work. I am currently running a serp set up from a 88-92 camaro on my 68 with no problems. I think this will point you in the right direction. Something else to consider it that since it is a reverse flow style pump (pump rotates opposite direction of a standard pump), you must run an electric fan or get a mechanical one that is CCW. The pitch is different that the standard mechanical fan. They can be found at most part houses like summit, jegs or can be ordered through your local auto part stores. Email me if you have any questions.

130fe

[This message has been edited by 130fe (edited 02-21-2002).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts