Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

This Bill Thomas-Built Camaro Could Be The Supercar Of The '60s!​

This 1968 Camaro was ordered as a true Super Sport with a big block 396ci. Then it was sent to Bill Thomas of Bill Thomas Races Cars in Anaheim, CA. There, Mr.Thomas worked his magic on the 396. This Camaro also has the Rally Sport hidden headlight package along with a front spoiler and the bolt-on fiberglass Stinger hood.

It features the matching numbers 396ci block which is a rarity for a Bill Thomas car because most of his builds had 427ci transplants. However, the original owner wanted to stay with the 396ci and Mr.Thomas transformed Chevrolet's 396 into a sleeper big block that could terrorize any 427ci on the street in 1968.

The 396 is set up with an Offenhauser intake manifold with dual Carter AFB Carbs. A Comp Cams solid-lifter camshaft with the original Thomas specs was installed during the rebuild. The engine is mated to a Turbo 400 Transmission that feeds a heavy-duty 12 Bolt Posi rear with Bill Thomas traction bars.

For comfort and safety, the Camaro is equipped with power steering and power brakes with a disc on the front. For rolling stock, it's sitting on a set of vintage American Racing Sandstones,15x8 on the rear and 14x7 up front with Mickey Thompson Tires.

- Mike Salemme

SPONSORED​
[TD]
[/TD]

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Cool looking car, but the background in the picture is Smokey Mountain Traders. They are known for putting lipstick on pigs. Hopefully I'm wrong and this is a great car. 😩

·
15,871 Posts
X2 SMT is terrible

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool looking car, but the background in the picture is Smokey Mountain Traders. They are known for putting lipstick on pigs. Hopefully I'm wrong and this is a great car. 😩
Good observation !

Must be a file photo as car
was not listed for sale.

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts

·
15,871 Posts
What personal experience have you had with SMT ?
Friend of mine fell for it and sent them a deposit for a 73 Trans Am. Was going to buy sight unseen. I talked him into flying out from here in Vegas to see it before completing the purchase.

He was happy he took my advise. The car was a complete rust bucket. Totally misrepresented bu SMT. He had emails back and forth where he questioned rust etc. They offered to take 8-10k off the price. Wasn’t even worth that and he got his deposit back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts