Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my intake manifold (Edelbrock RPM Air Gap) and the rear coolant holes in the heads are full of nasty looking deposits (the front passages are clean). Plus there is build-up between the intake manifold and the heads around the ports in the gasket area. There are very few miles on this sbc crate engine (Vortec heads).

To avoid this and keep the passages clean I am thinking of routing a 5/8-inch hose from each back corner to the front corners of the intake manifold. Perhaps I am getting an air bubble which is blocking the coolant from circulating?

Does anyone see a problem with this? Would this decrease coolant flow through the heads?

If you have a better idea please let me know what it is.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
The rear passages in the heads don't have any flow as the manifold is blocked off in this area. The front passages are clear because there's flow thru these passages when the thermostat opens. I'm not sure what these nasty deposits look like but some are normal as this is a dead spot in the cooling system. I would not bypass the back to the front as you'll create flows that may damage your engine from over heating. Do you have any pictures of these deposits?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I pulled my intake manifold (Edelbrock RPM Air Gap) and the rear coolant holes in the heads are full of nasty looking deposits (the front passages are clean). Plus there is build-up between the intake manifold and the heads around the ports in the gasket area. There are very few miles on this sbc crate engine (Vortec heads).

To avoid this and keep the passages clean I am thinking of routing a 5/8-inch hose from each back corner to the front corners of the intake manifold. Perhaps I am getting an air bubble which is blocking the coolant from circulating?

Does anyone see a problem with this? Would this decrease coolant flow through the heads?

If you have a better idea please let me know what it is.
Thanks
Yes, it has been done before. I've seen it.

The Air-Gap uses these passages that could be used for that (As you mentioned)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts