Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been reviewing some posts on anti-freeze and am a little confused.

This is a '68'vert, 383, no heater yet, (stock size) aluminum radiator.

..So far, (from TC search) it looks like:
  • Dex-cool is bad?
  • Zerex or green Prestone is good?
  • Open cooling system can hurt Aluminum radiator and heads?
  • 50/50 is pre-mixed, doesn't need water, but is (2x$) expensive?
  • Regular Prestone needs to be mixed with water? (straight Glycol will freeze?)
  • sounds like tap water is bad, but I'm not sure if I need distilled or de-ionized?
  • 180* thermostat? (it's supposed to snow tomorrow)
  • Standard cooling system (with heater) is 3.7 gal?
I think the last time I bought coolant was in the early 80's, so I need some expert advice on new technology.
The list above was gathered from a few searches on TC, (coolant/radiator/anti-freeze).
I did see views on both sides, but tried to list the common consensus.
I listed each item above as a ?question? to get a correction, comfirmation or any additional views.

..am I missing anything? :yes: :noway:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looks like your info is right on in my opinion anyhow. My radiator guy, who has been in buisiness since moses was still alive, says dex cool is no good, when it gets hot it seems to form some kind of sludge or something. At least that is what he said causes the stuff I have been finding in some of our late model chevys. As for straight Glycol, I hear it wont cool properly, it needs the water for the cooling. As I recall, you want distilled water, but de-ionized may be good too but I have no idea on that one. :beers:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I pretty much agree with all of the above... dexcool bad, prestone good, premix is a ripoff, use distilled water from the grocery store, cooling system needs pressure to work properly and avoid creating steam pockets in the heads.

Straight glycol has crappy heat transfer properties. It won't freeze, but you may overheat.

Thermostat temps are a religious discussion. Thermal efficiency vs volumetric efficiency. Volumetric wins for most SBCs (assuming you're goal is power). Some people say thermal wins on LSX's with plastic intakes and some form of cold air induction, but I haven't seen any dyno numbers to back that up.

·
Super Moderator
32,789 Posts
Straight glycol has crappy heat transfer properties. It won't freeze, but you may overheat.
Yes, it does. Straight ethylene glycol will freeze.

Straight propylene gylcol does not freeze.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I found out long ago that straight ethylene glycol will freeze.
We used to keep 55 gallon drums in an outside shed that was in the shade all winter. It didn't freeze solid, but would slush over for sure when it got below 0.

I made the mistake of using Dexcool in my 67 when I first built it. Everything they say is true. Never use it in an open system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts