Team Camaro Tech banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
There should be no need to access the tank once it is installed.

Don

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Is there a rule of thumb or caution about how far from the radiator you can put an Expansion tank? Mike
Several ways to skin this cat. I also have the front "cover" between core support and grill. I did a coolant recovery tank to pass tech inspection at NHRA tracks

I chose the 74 Nova tank, as others have, and installed it under PS fender

overflow14.jpg

overflow 20.jpg

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
SoCal, I now have everything needed for the install as you have, my question is now did you put a hose on the overflow outlet?

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Several ways to skin this cat. I also have the front "cover" between core support and grill. I did a coolant recovery tank to pass tech inspection at NHRA tracks

I chose the 74 Nova tank, as others have, and installed it under PS fender
I have a load of wiring in that spot plus the control box for the RS headlights.

This is where i mounted mine
Thats exactly where my Vintage Air plumbing and tank is located LOL. Plus I have to deal with space for the RS doors to swing in without hitting anything.

IMG_7388.JPG

Looks like its going on the firewall.

Mike

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,197 Posts
I installed mine right next to the PS radiator and about 2" below the cap - it's bolted through the radiator support. Like Don said, it's pretty much a closed system - rather than venting a little coolant onto the ground, it goes in the tank instead and then gets pulled right back into the radiator as it cools down. Not much to it. One of these days I'll probably hard pipe it but it works for now.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
I have a brand new engine and cooling system so i decided to go with the evans waterless coolant cuz they say it doesnt corroded the insides of the engine with electrolysis. And at $47 a gallon i dont want anything hitting the ground lol

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
No room on the PS, DS occupied by PS reservoir. The front section gets covered completely with polished SS cover. And my expansion tank is aroud 15" tall so it's gonna go on the firewall tomorrow.-Mike

IMG_7852.JPG IMG_7849.jpg IMG_7990.JPG IMG_7989.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Mike, I thought one thing you were inquiring about was the height of the OF tank vs the radiator. At least your post caused me to think about that. It did not even dawn on me until now and mine has been installed for about 6 mo. It appears that mine is lower than it might should be. I'll also look into a cap like you are going to use. I don't think mine is vented.
Brett🚀🚀🚀🚀

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Mike, I thought one thing you were inquiring about was the height of the OF tank vs the radiator. At least your post caused me to think about that. It did not even dawn on me until now and mine has been installed for about 6 mo. It appears that mine is lower than it might should be. I'll also look into a cap like you are going to use. I don't think mine is vented.
Brett🚀🚀🚀🚀

View attachment 274514
Tim... I'm going to use the Delco vented cap, mainly because I'm not sure the cap I was using was vented or not. The cap is mounted in a billet cover with 3M tape maybe 3 years now, and despite all my attempts with assorted solvents, I can't seem to budge the cap LOL. So I'm probably going to get a new Cold Case billet cap to go over the Delco. I sent Chris a DM asking about it but haven't heard back yet. My tank is now mounted on the firewall, working on the hose this afternoon, it'll be buried under the Heater/AC lines.

As Don had said, it could be in the trunk LOL... but I've actually seen many similar setups on Roadsters around here.-Mike

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
Will a sintered bronze vent work well in an application like this?
Just about every overflow I have seen is vented. No need to add a vent. I am referring to tanks like this which has a standpipe overflow which vents it.

What sort of overflow are you thinking of?

Don

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Just about every overflow I have seen is vented. No need to add a vent. I am referring to tanks like this which has a standpipe overflow which vents it.

What sort of overflow are you thinking of?

Don
I want to use it as a recovery/recirculating tank

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
Pretty sure that is what that is.... When pressure exceeds 16 psi coolant is pushed into the tank. When the Radiator cools the resulting vacuum pulls it back into the radiator.....

Some folks are really complicating and overthinking this issue imho....

Don

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Pretty sure that is what that is.... When pressure exceeds 16 psi coolant is pushed into the tank. When the Radiator cools the resulting vacuum pulls it back into the radiator.....

Some folks are really complicating and overthinking this issue imho....

Don
Not over thinking at all. My tank has a barbed ball valve. Just wanted to clean it up with a different vent

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
Not over thinking at all. My tank has a barbed ball valve. Just wanted to clean it up with a different vent
What is the purpose of the ball valve? Could you post a link to the tank?

Don

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
What is the purpose of the ball valve? Could you post a link to the tank?

Don
It was uses as a drain but if you flip it over it can serrve as a recirculator

21 - 40 of 50 Posts