Team Camaro Tech banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

Premium Member

Registered
there are coolant recovery and over flow tanks...and just over flow tanks. recovery type have a vented cap and the hose coming from radiator attaches to a tube that goes to the bottom of the recovery tank which keeps that end of the tube submerged in coolant so when the radiator cools vacuum draws coolant back from the recovery tank as it is vented so does not hold pressure, it is "neutral". The recovery type tanks also have a "overflow" port to allow coolant to spill out should they be overcome with coolant

over flow tanks just hold whatever is puked into them from radiator, like some who just use a windshield washer tank

IMHO the Nova 74-79 "recovery" tank looks like it "belongs" on the car and holds a good amount of coolant before it itself will overflow vs some of the aftermarket cylinder types that hold very little coolant

Premium Member
If you read the q&a on the summit page it will explain
I must be getting old because I don鈥檛 see a link to a Summit page? What Summit page?

Premium Member
I must be getting old because I don鈥檛 see a link to a Summit page? What Summit page?
Lol i just took a screenshot and the summit app doesnt show links

Registered
Mike
IMHO the Nova 74-79 "recovery" tank looks like it "belongs" on the car and holds a good amount of coolant before it itself will overflow vs some of the aftermarket cylinder types that hold very little coolant
I remember reading your discussion on installing the Nova recovery tank into your Camaro and I think it looked great!

But one minor correction (for those that may be trying to find this item)... The recovery tank you installed was for a 75-79 Nova (4th Gen).
The 73-74 Nova had its coolant recovery tank mounted onto the engine side of the inner fender and the shape of the recovery tank is different (see image below - 74 Nova Recovery Tank).

I really liked how you mounted your recovery tank tucked-up into the open space under the fender and have considered changing my set-up to copy yours.

What I really like about having a translucent recovery tank is you can tell if you're losing coolant by looking at the coolant level in the tank (should always be around the same level when the engine is cold). It's easy to inspect/view the coolant level in the recovery tank each time you open your hood. If the normal "Cold" coolant level starts to drop, then you are most likely losing coolant somewhere.

Premium Member
Lol i just took a screenshot and the summit app doesnt show links
Well your screenshot isn鈥檛 showing up. Its a bad link....

Anyway, it sounds like you have this well under control. I鈥檓 done....

Don
2DC7A4DD-9575-4F07-B42E-E719039A7D3D.png

Premium Member

Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
Discussion Starter #50
I found this illustration online and decided to tweak it a little bit with some arrows, copy and a few other things. BTW, that Delco cap does not like the neck on my Cold Case radiator.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts