Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just replaced my head gaskets and i need to bleed the air out how do i do it i never did it before

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
Bleed the air out of what.. the cooling system?
99% of the time there is never any issue... fill up run engine top up to the level marked on the end of the radiator.
If worried further , fill up with the car pointing up a slop or front jacked higher .....

I assume before replacing head gaskets u had the heads skimmed as a matter or good practice?
And the head and valley cover bolts had sealer on the threads ?

·
Retired
26,781 Posts
Steptoe you need to pay attention to the forum the question is in and the year/generation the car is...

On 4th gen's air in the cooling system is a big deal. The owners manual will explain where the system bleed screw(s) are and how to bleed the system. V6, LS-1 and LT-1 are all slightly different.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bleed the air out of what.. the cooling system?
Yes, it just happened to me yesterday. I had to replace the intake manifold gaskets (water got into the oil) and during the test drive the temperature rose higher than normal. After filling with a little more anti-freeze it was OK.

·
Retired
26,781 Posts
A little correction to what I posted. It seems there is no bleed screw(s) on an LS-1 like the LT-1 has. What year Camaro and engine do you have?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have the 3.8l and the radiator is full and there is coolant going throw the lines but the temp gauge is going off the chart and my heat gun is showing that its fine ... how hard is it to change the 3.8l to the ls1 im done with this motor nothing but trouble from the day i got it and i dont even know how coolant goes throw the engine from how its designed its a mess and one that gone throw its know what im talking about

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
i just replaced my head gaskets and i need to bleed the air out how do i do it i never did it before
You didn't specify what type of 4th gen you have. On my 2002 Z28, the cooling system has a cross-over pipe that connects the left and right heads. In the middle is a hose that routes to the top of the radiator below the fill cap. This is the air bleed - bubbles will auto-magically find their way into the top of the radiator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts