Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am going for a new 383 ci from BPE. Engine will be a nice steet cruiser and sometimes I will run it hard but mostly not. It will not go to the strip.

I had a 327, never ran into cooling issues.
I will keep a 18" fan blade with thermal clutch.
I wonder if my original 2 core radiator will do its job and cool this engine correctly.

I only care about cooling performance, not looks.

I can wait and see, of course; but as I live in Belgium, EU, I have a fixed price for sea container shipment and I'd better think of all I will need. After it will get more expensive for me to get parts shipped by air.

Thanks for your inputs.

Marc

·
Vendor
161 Posts
2 row copper brass OEM radiator? That's pretty small for a V8. I don't think GM ever put 2 row's in any v8 cars at that time. As far as the 327 cooling fine, you could get a new 327 and have totally different cooling needs. So it doesn't really matter what is going in there. The fact that its 'different' means you won't know until you try it.

Normally I'd say try it and see how you do but your situation dictates a decision in advance.

Good luck with the new motor. Sounds like it's going to be fun to drive! :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just measured my radiator . It is 26" long x 18,5" height x 2" large.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My father has the original brass, 3 core radiator in his 68 bel air. Had it flushed and sealed locally. It was for a 307 car. Keeps his 454 almost too cool.
I would try to use a 3 core or 4 core brass or a 2 row 1" or 1.25" aluminum.

·
20,096 Posts
If you have the $$$ and already have a set shipping price...I would upgrade to a 4 row.

·
Vendor
161 Posts
Just measured my radiator . It is 26" long x 18,5" height x 2" large.
That sounds like a 3 row. That makes more sense. It improves your chances of it taking care of your 383 needs. It's still on the light end. High performance V8's would have a 4 row OEM radiator and there's plenty of owners who have needed more than that to solve their hot running vehicles. It's a shame you can't easily test what you have. That's normally the best way.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Marc

You might consider Cold Case radiators. They are a sponsor on this site and offer a discount to members. I just bought one. PM Eric

Cold Case Introduction | Team Camaro Tech (camaros.net)

I had the 23" stock 3 row which was used on 327/AC cars and all big block cars. I got the 23" Cold Case one. You would need to get the specific fan shroud for the 23".

OER 3893814 OER Reproduction Fan Shrouds | Summit Racing

Or you can run the standard size 21" radiator from Cold Case. Both sizes have 2 row 1 1/4" tube

I am installing mine today so can't comment on how they last but suspect they will do well. The radiator looks very good, all aluminum, and is very well packaged

23"-Manual cars
67-69 Camaro Big Block Firebird Manual Aluminum Performance Radiator | Cold Case Aluminum Performance Radiators (coldcaseradiators.com)

21"-Manual
67-69 Camaro Small Block Manual Aluminum Performance Radiator | Cold Case Aluminum Performance Radiators (coldcaseradiators.com)

·
Premium Member
4,930 Posts
Two row aluminum with 1” or larger tubes. More rows is not better. Aluminum with large tubes is far better. Don’t mess around.

Don

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi thanks for your words.
I see it is about costly and large parts that I maybe not need.
I'll skip on this upgrade, and we will see how it behaves...

What I think about is to change the AC radiator. I have a vintage ac on my car , with the new serpentine syetem I am changing compressor system is purged, I might change to a smaller AC radiator, better located, so that the main radiator is free. This can be handled here locally.

Thanks again,

Marc

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
I have a 409 small block in my car. I'm using a 4 row brass and copper original style radiator from US Radiator. I also have a 7 blade clutch fan, high flow thermostat and water pump. In my opinion your stock 2 row is going to be taxed at best. Why risk damage to a new high dollar investment? It's like using the old oil filter. It worked before, but just doesn't make sense. Not trying to rip you, but you're setting yourself up for failure.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK... so I am listening to your suggestions.
I am going with a new hi flow water pump with the CVF serpentive, mechanical style cooling fan option chosen but I guess I can change this option still now or put it on hold...
  • Cool case 2 row large tubes + shroud?
  • Cool case + electric fan?
  • Orginal 4 row brass + I keep my shroud?
  • Any other suggestions?

If I can keep my shroud, I would find it great. It is a large part to transport.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I keep to a 21" I can keep my current shroud?
Following you should it work ok with a 21"?

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
If you go with the copper /brass original style 4 row radiator you can use your fan, and shroud. You will not have any brackets to make, and no electric wires to run/ tax your system. It is the most simple/ cheapest way to insure you will not have a cooling problem with your new engine. My 409 runs just under 185 in 100 degree weather in traffic with the AC on. And it looks original. If you're not building a racecar, you don't need all the fancy/ expensive parts unless you just want the look.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I have a 4 row that I ordered from Classic Industries, CRD 3774S, I used it for a year and a half before going to CC . I can make a deal if you are thinking of going that way.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LeeC, yes I'd love to have a deal on this one. I start to have plenty of parts on my list and this adds up quickly. Why did you go for an aluminum radiator?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Marc

If you have a stock 21" fan shroud that will work with the Cold Case 21" radiator. The CC radiator is a direct stock replacement in terms of stock fan shroud mount with the lower tabs to hold the fan shroud

...with that said SBC like your 327 came with a 23" radiator "if" they were equipped with AC.....you now have AC (Vintage)....and now a larger cubic inch (383) making considerably more HP. If it were my car I would go with the 23" size radiator and correct shroud I posted earlier.

Additionally fewer, larger rows like 2 x 1 1/4" vs 3-4 smaller rows cools better for whatever radiator brand you get

Pics of my CC 23" I put in yesterday

CC1.jpg
CC2.jpg
CC3.jpg

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My shroud is 21" large x 19.5" height at radiator side, and shroud has a diameter of 19,5". it is 7.5" depth in total including support to radiator

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sure SoCal you ar right, but I am also confident about the same size brass radiator efficiency.
So LeeC, I cannot contact you privatly, I change my settings so you can contact me and I started to 'follow you'.

Marc

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Marc

the stock 21" shroud can be attached to a 23" radiator with some simple modification but obviously it won't cover the width of a 23" completely which to some extent compromises the larger size radiator (23") cooling ability. In your climate and car use this may not be a issue although GM would have installed a 23" if your car was originally equipped with AC as GM (Chevy) felt a larger capacity radiator was required

When I bought my 67 with a 327 there was a stock 21" shroud mounted to my stock 23" radiator. Pic of the simple metal tab was put on to extend to the width of the 23" radiator if you choose to use your 21" shroud on a 23" radiator....but IMHO given the expense of your new motor and other items you will be buying and shipping over in one container...I would spend the additional $ on the correct fitting shroud

radiator hold down-lower.JPG

1 - 20 of 27 Posts