Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in a new 4 core cooper/brass radiator on my 69 rebuild. It seems to run a little hot (around 205). My question is would a aluminum radiator cool better then the 4 core?
383, thermastat is a new 180, new water pump, sending unit in head, any suggestions to bring temp down to around 180 would be appreciated

·
13,741 Posts
What are your using for fans? Shroud?

Reactions: eville

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I am running a 10-8-1 compression engine that never goes over 190° on the hottest of days in a parade
I am using a edelbrock high flow water pump, 160° stant thermostat with a 1/8" hole
champion 3 core aluminum radiator with a heavy duty stainless steel derale 7 blade fan inside a shroud
I also made filler panels for the top and bottom to FORCE the air through the radiator
I tried electric fans. they didn't work for me

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I forgot to mention a few things. I've got the stock SBC shroud, with derale 7 blade fan about half in the shroud, also have the top filler panel. Hope that helps a little more.

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
A quality aluminum radiatior with dual large diameter tubes would cool better. Not a four ROW :smile2: with small tubes that restrict flow....

Keep in mind that your temperature gauge likely will not read 180 with a 180 thermostat before you go and spend a bunch of money. If it tops out at 205 I would not worry....

Don

Reactions: Ccass and 68rs406

·
Vendor
36 Posts
If you are having issues with your 4 row copper, you should look into a big 2 row like mentioned above.
Cold Case offers a SBC and BBC version for you.
You can always upgrade to the BBC version. You just need to purchase a BB shroud and you'll get the extra capacity of a large 2 row radiator plus the bigger radiator in general.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
If you are having issues with your 4 row copper, you should look into a big 2 row like mentioned above.
Cold Case offers a SBC and BBC version for you.
You can always upgrade to the BBC version. You just need to purchase a BB shroud and you'll get the extra capacity of a large 2 row radiator plus the bigger radiator in general.
But is topping out at 205 an issue? Not sure that it is. Wouldn’t an underperforming radiator continue to rise?

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
Radiator cores consist of rows. No such animal as a 2,3, or 4 core radiator. Many run a stock system and do not overheat.
Thanks for the correction. :grin2:

Horsepower plays a huge role. More horsepower means more heat for a given efficiency and large horsepower motors are generally less efficient further compounding the issue imho...

Don

·
Registered
Mike
348 Posts
When is the engine running a little hot? Idle + stop and go driving (driving below 25 - 30mph)?.... During normal cruise above 35mph? During all driving conditions?

Was your engine running hot before you changed radiator, water pump, and thermostat?
What type of water pump did you install?... Standard or high volume?

Do you have standard "V" belts driving your water pump?... or are you using a serpentine belt that might require a reverse flow water pump? Did you install the correct flow water pump for your direction of rotation?

What was the outside temperature when your engine runs hotter? Does cooler weather effect engine cooling temps?

Other things will also make your engine run hotter - lean fuel mixture and retarded timing are a couple things to check.

·
Vendor
36 Posts
But is topping out at 205 an issue? Not sure that it is. Wouldn’t an underperforming radiator continue to rise?
205 isn't terrible. Little high but how fresh is the motor? Was it broken in properly?

When are you getting to 205? On the highway or in traffic?

·
19,759 Posts
Yes, need info about the temps....and what pressure cap ?

IF it continues to climb, there's a problem.
Does it...
Creep up at idle
Rise after a hard run
or ???

My 2014 truck runs 210 all the time, my daughters 2015 Jeep runs 237. Both are stock.

As long at it's not boiling over, you should be fine.

IF you go to an electric fan, look into a Mark VIII or Taurus fan.... they move GOBS of air (4500cfm+) and not too hard to retrofit.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
16lb cap new, runs to 205 and then stays steady, if I leave it idle it runs up. Everything on motor is new, standard water pump v belt. The motor heats up to 205 no matter where I am ( in town, or hiway). About 750-1000 miles on rebuild.

·
Vendor
157 Posts
205 on newer technology motors is pretty normal. Classic Chevy motors ideally should stay under 200 degrees for long term engine life but more importantly, who has fun sitting in a car with that 205 degree temps coming thru the firewall while sitting in traffic.

All motors are rebuilt differently. For various reasons, some may run hotter. That may be the case with yours.

The big two row aluminum radiators just plain hold a lot more volume of fluid. Volume alone will many times be enough to lower temps significantly.

So yes, I can almost guarantee you that a big two row like our Cold Case unit can bring your temps down by 10 to 15 degrees all else being equal.

Actually, we do guarantee it. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
16lb cap new, runs to 205 and then stays steady, if I leave it idle it runs up
Almost sounds like a fan or shroud issue not moving enough air. At least I am interested in what you have for a fan and shroud.

Don

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Lots of things play a role in run temperature. Tuning can be a big one.

As Doug mentioned when does it start heating up, moving or idling?

Also, you can’t really use a new car as a guideline, emission (and EFI) motors are designed to run hotter for efficiency, they have 190+ t stats to regulate.
Not that it’s a big deal on the street but I personally like 180 with a carb, hot enough to keep the oil clean and cool enough for keeping air temps in the carb cool. Anything less than 180 isn’t a good idea in my opinion, check what oil manufacturers recommend for temps. Ideally hot oil (to a point) and cool intake is the goal.
I like 180, too hot in my opinion would be 210, turn it off would be 220. But they will run a helluva lot hotter than that, depending on the motor.

I have a 2 row aluminum Becool radiator, big block width, and a 90’s V8 T Bird electric fan and shroud. A quality water pump also, high flow. Keeps my 600 horse or so small block 180 in any weather we have here in the PNW.

My old 406 used a 3 row copper brass stock replacement SB radiator with a Taurus fan and shroud and it kept it 180 too. And ran low 11’s just like that.

I personally recommend using a stock type shroud, they flow better. Some of the really flat shrouds look nice but kill flow.

Cooling is pretty easy really, get the tune right first and diagnose from there. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Almost sounds like a fan or shroud issue not moving enough air. At least I am interested in what you have for a fan and shroud.

Don
Agree, almost could be a radiator that’s not cooling properly too. Creep at idle is fan or shroud or flow of air or water. Assuming tune is right. Does it ever puke fluid?

With my old radiator and my new motor it couldn’t hang, it would get to temp and be fine, creep up to around 200 in heat while driving, stayed right at 180 idling. But as soon as I beat it a bit it warmed up pretty quick, would see 210. As soon as I backed off it creeped back down to 200. New aluminum radiator never goes above the T stat really.

Idling it shouldn’t go above T stat or fan setting by much. What brand/type water pump? Nothing like underdrive pulleys or anything?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Creeps up of 205 when idling, would like to get it down to 180-185 to be comfortable in my mind. Timing is around 12-14 btdc, runs perfectly. It never has boiled over yet, I do have the stock shroud on, with 7 blade fan.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
also have the top filler panel. .
You mean one of these?

Friend with a 69 gave it to me today. I it on my 67.

I don't have a cooling issue but it would appear to keep more air going "through" the radiator.....unless there is a bigger picture of having air go over the core support also into engine bay??

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
Creeps up of 205 when idling, would like to get it down to 180-185 to be comfortable in my mind. Timing is around 12-14 btdc, runs perfectly. It never has boiled over yet, I do have the stock shroud on, with 7 blade fan.
So it tops out at 205? Nothing to start spending money on imho....

Don

1 - 20 of 87 Posts