Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and found info on using copper washers but I could not find out where they go on the connection...

I installed my front disc brake conversion and it came with two copper washers that I put on either side of the banjo bolt....is this the correct way to place these or should they both be on one side? In other words, I have the bolt head, copper washer, hose line, then a copper washer on the other side of the hose line between the hose line and the caliper...It still seems to be leaking a bit from here...how tight does this bolt need to be?

thanks...

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Liveinaz said:
Is there a torque for these bolts or just gorilla tight?
Can't find any torque value. Just tighten it little by little, 'til they stop leaking. Maybe the copper washers on the kit are harder than regular. I had a similar situation in the past and found good/softer ones at the "help" section in the local Western Auto. Be careful and don't use gorilla power.:D

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Some of those washers are two danged hard. You can soften them up by laying them on a thin steel plate and heating them pretty hot with a propane totch. Let them air cool. Works on used ones too when you cant find new ones late on Saturday night.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
A leak from the hose to the caliper is fairly common. Just tighten it a little bit at a time until it stops leaking. Wipe the area clean of brake fluid and keep an eye on it to make it sure stops leaking. Sometimes the brass washers do not seat properly and require some extra torque. Do not back off the bolt once the washer is crushed.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I had the same problem. I just put the old elbow grease on day by day until they stopped leaking.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Somebody told me to use the old original ones, that they sealed up better than the new ones.. I hav'nt got that far yet to find out if the new ones that came with the new brakes will leak or not..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts