Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what was the correct 69 z/28 battery? was it the y55? were all y55 batterys the same? i am looking for the right one and would liek to know exactly what to look for. was there are certain series number y55? please help. thanks! tommy

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Z/28s and possibly all sb '69 Camaros used a "reverse polarity" battery, meaning the neg terminal is on the RH side. Big block Camaros and most GM cars used a battery with the pos terminal on the RH side.

Compounding the situation is the mid-year chaneover to the side-terminal battery. The info provided to dealers hints at a March date; no one knows for sure. The optional HD T60 battery seems to have remained top terminal. A broadcast sheet for a Nov 68 Z/28 shows Y55, a sheet for a June Z/28 shows Y77.
An early May COPO shows R59, a mid May COPO R79.

To the best of my knowledge only the standard battery has been reprod; even the "topper" depicts the standard battery. I found an NOS Y55 at a swap some years back. Even a discharged battery could be rebuilt.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ALL Y55 batteries are the "reverse polarity"? when looking for this battery, ANY with the Y55 number will be correct right? thanks for all info

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I believe so but am not certain. I had this discussion with a Delco jobber that had all the old catalogs. I thought there was a suffix that designated reverse polarity. I do recall he said Y55 was a standard replacement Ford battery so you might try dealers in NOS Ford.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I own a 69z built 5A and the body broadcast sheet designates y77. The car also has the correct side terminal cables.

[This message has been edited by shaugs (edited 01-06-2002).]

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
My 02D (Canadian-delivered) '69Z has T-60, with top-terminal cables; negative cable is outboard, next to the fender, positive cable is inboard, as shown in the A.I.M.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

[This message has been edited by JohnZ (edited 01-06-2002).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts