Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 68 with a deluxe interior. It has the walnut center dash which is original. The dash ashtray I have is black (not sure if it is the original one). I have seen 68's with black ashtrays and some with the woodgrain. Is there a correct one for my car or were both installed randomly which I doubt?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Carlc but does that previous post really answer our similar question? I have a 68 that was produced in February is that early enough to have a black one or should it have woodgrain. This is visible piece that I would like to be confident that it is correct.

thnx Don

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Good Question!

Mine is an October '67 LA build and came with the black ashtray. Someone likely has a firm date for the swap.

Could GM have used a black tray if woodgrain was out of stock or a line worker mis-installed? It's one of those things that is supposed to be definate but the car may have come from the factory "incorrect". JohnZ would be the man on this.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I think I'll keep the black ashtray, but it just doesn't quite look right now that I've seen a woodgrain in a 68.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My September built 68 had a black ash tray even though the rest was woodgrain. I was told they used up the black ones first in the early production cars. February seems way too late to have black.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
My '68 was built 3rd week of January and has the woodgrain ashtray.

·
Registered
101 Posts
While on the subject of woodgrain. I noticed a few weeks ago that Firebird had a woodgrain radio bezel. Did any Camaros ever have a woodgrain radio bezel?
Or how about the radio or heater delete cars? Were these woodgrain or would they have been strictly standard interior?

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
My 68 has Deluxe interior, was built in january and has it black.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but after reading I have this question. If early 68's had a black ash tray and the trim panel was black, what did the console look like. I thought all 68 consoles had the Walnut grain insert. I'm still learning about 68's.

------------------
Scott
68 SS BB project car

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
not sure if you were asking about 68, or what.
As far as 69 goes, any wood grain interior, included wood grain pieces for the radio. They basically were just around the radio knobs (about 1 1/2" X 2")
Also, any car with Z 23 Interior Accent Option included wood grain inserts for radio, wiper/light switch area, and steering wheel shroud.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I was trying to figure out if the ash tray and the trim panel were painted black on an early model 68, what did the console top look like? Did it have the walnut grain or was it painted black or what ever color to match the interior? I have a Feb 68 car and like the rest of the people who posted I'm trying to figure what is corrct. I'm lucky as I don't have any of these items so I can go looking either way.

------------------
Scott
68 SS BB project car

·
Registered
87 Posts
My car was built last week Dec. 1967 and ash tray is black area around gauges is black around shifter is wood grain as is center piece ever thing else is red

------------------
Rodney Colbert 70 Chevelle SS Real L-78 4-speeed 68RS/SS 350HP 396 400 turbo red with black top red interior AC PS PB 12 bolt posi #s Matching

1 - 13 of 13 Posts