Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How exactly is the fender "396" emblem suppossed to be mounted? Seen it flushed/aligned with top of fender parking light and also seen it "off" a little. Also, was there orange overspray on the intake on 375HP cars?

·
Premium Member
6,756 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jonesy - your pic looks correct but I've seen the emblems slightly higher or lower on some cars.

Z10 - sent you pics of the car I bought. Click on one to enlarge and you'll see what I'm talking about. Will bring to you when I get it for stripe paint.

·
Registered
235 Posts
No overspray on the manifold. It looks like there is some on the waterpump bypass hose too.

My 396 emblem is even with the top of the side marker.

Hey, how much you gonna sell it for?

·
Premium Member
6,756 Posts
Danny

I bought my car untouched and original paint in 1980. I restored it in 1982 and these pics are an exact copy of the original striping and emblem location. Although, I did go from black to white on the stripes. I am sure this is correct with the emblem top level with the top of the side marker. It shows this way with most original pics I have seen as I looked back through some books of mine.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Jonesy, I like the 'Ice Cold, MN ) as I grew up in St. Paul!

The assembly manual should have dimensions. In reality, I've seen so much variation in original cars that there is probably some leeway. We're talking 60's production lines here. At Carlisle, I saw original Yenkos with more variance than I would have thought. Anyway, I would go by factory specs in the manual.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
The dimensions in the manual are useless. They are taken from imaginary centerlines and can not be used to locate emblems. They look great at first glance in the manual but actualy putting them to use is impossible. You cant measure off something that isn't there. All the holes are shown in relation to the other holes but you have nothing to start with. Just floating in space if you get my "drift"

Emblems varied quite a bit in production. The emblem holes in my original body parts were all very poorly located/angled. The tail panel holes were fine but the rest all were "off".

-Mark.

·
Retired
26,976 Posts
I would have thought some overspray would be correct... What methods did the factory use to keep the overspray off the manifold?

Try laquor thinner and a tooth brush to clean it off. If the manifold was alumi-blasted (light dusting of alum or silver paint) you may remove some of that as well though.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 & the club"

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
The engine plants used a molded plastic mask they dropped over the aluminum intakes, and dropped a coffee can over the distributor; not exotic stuff. At Flint Engine (small-blocks only), they ran 270 per hour through that little paint booth, so it wasn't a "concours" paint job!

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.