Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 350 chevy was rebuilt by the previous owner. When I change oil 4 quarts plus 1 for the filter the dipstick reads at the "FilI" line. The oil pan is stock and I am running PF35 filter. My 1973 Motors manual indicated the capacity of an 350 is 4 quarts of oil plus 1 for filter.

Is it a case of the wrong dipstick and tube? Can someone give a length of dipstick / dipstick tube to see if I have the correct one?

· Registered
1,314 Posts
My 350 chevy was rebuilt by the previous owner. When I change oil 4 quarts plus 1 for the filter the dipstick reads at the "FilI" line. The oil pan is stock and I am running PF35 filter. My 1973 Motors manual indicated the capacity of an 350 is 4 quarts of oil plus 1 for filter.

Is it a case of the wrong dipstick and tube? Can someone give a length of dipstick / dipstick tube to see if I have the correct one?
what side is the tube on?
What year is the engine?
What is the tube length?
Upload a few pictures.

3,750 Posts
Personally I would put 5 qts in it, run it for a 15 minutes, let it sit for an hour and then take a look. Just take a file and put a mark on the dip stick where it needs to be. Or cut the tube off to get it down where it needs to be. I would rather cut the tube. 5 minute job with a small tubing cutter.

· Registered
797 Posts
If you take a picture of the dip stick with a ruler or tape beside it, others can compare it with theirs. There were many dip sticks back in the 60s and 70s. The best way to determine the correct stick is just what you have done, put in 5 quarts of oil and run the engine. After setting a few minutes, the level should be about 1 pint over the full mark.

· Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I'd like to add to this discussion...

My dipstick is reading the opposite. It is a quart or two over the fill line with 5 quarts. I can't remember if the tube is an original piece. The dipstick itself is aftermarket which I suspect is the item at fault. I also am using a PF35 size filter. I figure the difference of the oil level between this size and the smaller one should be minor.

I'd would also like to see how mine and the OP's compare to a correct, original one.

· Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Here's mine. The tube is about 6 3/8" long from the engine surface to the end of the tube.
Hand tool Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Metal

Thermometer Office ruler Rectangle Ruler Font

· Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Jeez, mine is about 2 1/2" longer. Glad it's the stick and not the tube. Time to calibrate mine. Thanks Roger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts