Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What bolt holes should I use to hoist my SBC with alluminum heads for installation. The intake manifold is not yet mounted as well as exteranal parts (fuel pump, power steering etc.). But the flywheel, clutch and bell housing is also installed.

The bear block was easier but now the head bolt holes are not available. I do not want to dent or damage the motor or me.

Just looking for proper and safe procedure - bolt holes locations etc., types holes lifting.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,338 Posts
The inboardmost(?) top accessory bolt holes on the ends of the cyl heads, one front, the other at the opposite head in the rear.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I wondered if the aluminum heads made any difference but that does seem to be the best way to balance the load. I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Here's an idea assuming your lift has two chain hooks:

Use four 3/8" x 2" bolts and four washers.
Use two 18" or so lengths of chain sized large enough so the bolt can pass through the links.
Use the bolts and washers to hold the chain at the four corners of the heads using the intake manifold holes, one across the front and one across the back.
Only screw the bolts in 1" so chain is not against the head and adjust the chain length as needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts