Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 69 Camaro SS 350 and am converting to a BBC; a ZL1 crate which comes with (GM Part # 10240721) which is described in the GM Performance Parts catalog as: "Six-quart pan fits all 1991-and-newer Gen V and Gen VI, 427, 454, 502 and 572 engines"

The only other listing in the catalog for earlier models is #14091356 described as a Corvette oil pan 1965-74.

Does anyone know for sure if the supplied pan will fit; I really don't want to drop it in to have to pull it back out again if it don't work.

Thanks in advance for all the informed replies.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
That's a little confusing considering the ZL-1 block is still a Gen IV. At least mine is and it is the modern GMPP block. I know the 502 pan doesn't fit in a camaro.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you have the Anniversary ZL-1, that is a 1-piece rear seal. Call Scroggins-Dickey Chevrolet, they are a Performance Parts Dealer and ask what pan you need

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
The Corvette pan won't fit,..not even close.

I would run this pan from Moroso:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-20403/

It has a windage screen, scraper, trap door, and baffling, all conducive to HP. It holds 6 qts., has ample ground clearance, clears a stroker crank, and fits the Camaro chassis perfectly.

If you're wanting a more stock appearing pan (with muuuch less oil control) you may be stuck using 396/427 pan which is still available at your Chevy parts counter. Of course it will only take a 3.75" stroke.

There is a GM Performance pan that will work, 14103141, but it's simply a rebranded (and more expensive) Moroso pan.

Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the info; ordered the pan today.

BTW; anyone know what's the best fastener for pans (what's the best fastener period) for aluminum blocks?

Are different fasteners required for similar/dissimilar metals such as aluminum to aluminun, cast to aluminum, carbon steel to aluminum etc. Some of the fastener options would be: black painted, chrome plated, cermic coated, alloy i.e. 316SS?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, I don't have a chance to check the site as often I would like. I bought mine from Pace Performance part # 12495360

"This 4-quart oil pan kit is for all 1991 and later Gen V and Gen VI 454 and 502ci engines. This pan should fit most early model Chevelle and Camaro vehicles. The kit includes the 4-quart oil pan, four main cap bolts P/N 10106461, oil pump screen P/N 3955281, oil level tube P/N 329231, oil level gauge P/N 3989391, and oil pan gasket P/N 10106407. Technical Note: Oil pan is not serviced separately."

by the way the six quart oil pan would have hit your steering linkage, I learned that the hard way, I used the original fasteners that came with the engine. Mine has been in for about two years now with no problems. Good luck with your install.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Are different fasteners required for similar/dissimilar metals such as aluminum to aluminun, cast to aluminum, carbon steel to aluminum etc. Some of the fastener options would be: black painted, chrome plated, cermic coated, alloy i.e. 316SS?
I like to use anti-seize on anything with aluminum threads. Permatex makes a good product, sold at your local parts counter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice and assistance gents:

Kent, are you referring to the 6 qt pan that comes on the ZL1 or the 6 qt pan mentioned above by Straight-Line-69, part # 14103141.

BTW, what headers did you end up installing; I've just tried Hooker 2457-1HKR for BBC Chevy's and the bottom flange interferes with the head studs/nuts.

Thanks again and Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, I was referring to the 6 qt pan that came with the engine. I used those same headers you mentioned to break the engine in, I had to do a lot of grinding on the bottom flange and dimpled the driver side to clear my steering box, I recently bought and installed a set of lemon header, pricey but love them. Good Luck.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
The Moroso pan linked is for two piece seal block. The pan your block comes with is for a one piece seal block. Don't see how the Moroso will work.

I'd look at what Milodon offers. They're good about checking. You want one for a Gen V or VI block.
http://www.milodon.com/oil-pans/street-oil-pans-bbchevy.asp

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
I've got a 69 Camaro SS 350 and am converting to a BBC; a ZL1 crate which comes with (GM Part # 10240721) which is described in the GM Performance Parts catalog as: "Six-quart pan fits all 1991-and-newer Gen V and Gen VI, 427, 454, 502 and 572 engines"

That is clearly a one piece pan. Something doesn't add up if he's using the new block but he said it was a crate engine.

Like OakleySS posted, the anniversary ZL1 uses a one piece seal crank. It also comes modified for OEM roller cam.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-19166392/

Kent apparently has the anniversary crate because the part number for the pan he said he is using is a one piece.

I don't think the anniversary crate uses the new block. I thought they destroyed the tooling after the anniversary crates were built and the new block just says "based off original tooling".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, it's the Anniversary Crate; waited for a while but now it's finally in the garage. Next step, get in the car...

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE - Correct oil pan for 69 Camaro SS w/BBC 427

The saga continues; turns out pan 14103141 (from GMPP catalog) and mentioned above does "not" fit as i have just finished physical comparison; if you look closely at the photos on the page (257 in my catalog) 14103141 has a wider front flange and lesser dish on the rear flange.

It has been suggested that part 12495360 - the 4 quart pan is the one I need!

Also turns out 14103141 is discontined i.e. I can't exchange it, anyone that wants one let me know; I guess since it's discontinued it means that it has become rare therefore should be worth a mint! (Here's hoping...ha!)

Regards

1 - 14 of 14 Posts