Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct paint or finish for a saginaw 4 speed tranny in a 67.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
tonycamaro-That would be if it was a muncie.
saginaws are cast iron I think.
Steptoe- good advice for cleaning but I need to know if I should paint it or not.
If it is cast it will rust quickly.
Want to know what the general did.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Somebody must have a original saginaw and know the colour!! Pleeeeze

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks 98blackburb
It helps but not sure if it is in it's installed state or just unpainted after rebuilding. I hope someone will chime in and know:hurray: . I would have thought it would be an easy question:yes: but it's funny how the easy ones are the most frustrating ones to get answers to:( . If I wanted to know the gear ratio and tire dia of a 396 going backwards down the strip @ 12sec then ten people would chime in and the post would go on for days.:D I'll keep asked and hope for the best::thumbsup:

·
Registered
508 Posts
evey saginaw i ever saw and i've seen quite a few were not painted at all. just natural and rusty.....you could clean it up and clear it with a flat clear or hit it with a little cast blast. i would not leave it natural for sure!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Use the cast color paint that is used on other cast parts to make them look like fresh cast. Several companies sell it.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I knew you'd come thru. Beers on me:beers:

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I'd say try something like Boeshield.
Painted looks like painted, not raw iron......
What is that and can you use that on a steering box? I read they were natural and some people say a blueish-gray paint was used (of course they sell it). Mine has just been cleaned and I'd like it to stay that way for a while if possible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts