Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on this topic, and couldn't seem to scare up an answer, so here we go --

What is the correct shift knob for a '69 Z with an console and gages? I thought i heard somewhere that they all came with a chrome knob. However, I hsve seen a lot of cars with a "standard" knob with the shift pattern engraved in it. Which is correct?

------------------
69 Z/28 X77, Fathom Green, 34,000 Original Miles
69 SS 350, Lemans Blue, 350/300, TH350, 5 X 34,000 original miles :)
(bought it when I was 15)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Maximum,
I can't find your answer in any of my books as to what handle was used with or without the console and guages. My car has a chrome shift knob and my interior is all original. I also have the console and guages so that should answer most of your question.... mx

------------------
69 Z/28 R/S : Daytona Yellow, Blk Vinyl Top, X33, DZ302, M21, 4.10 Posi, Blk Deluxe interior, 8k tach, console and guages, wood wheel and dash, ZL2 ducted hood, endura bumper.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would also have to say the chrome knob, the console has the shift pattern on it so I would think the knob would be plain like the
chrome. Maybe without the console, the shift knob had the white ball with the shift pattern on it.......just a guess...anyone?

------------------
'69 SS 396/375hp L78 M21 3.73 Fathom green/medium green interior

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1331216&a=9901695&p=33013081

·
11,296 Posts
Funny, I'm pretty sure that info was in Jerry's 69 Z fact book.

Consoles (regardless of gauge package) got the chrome ball. With the shift pattern on the console the white ball with the pattern is redundant.

Without console, got the ball with the pattern, there were 2 balls, the white one and a 2 piece black one. One was early, one was late. Maybe someone from CRG could give some more info on the changeover.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. My car has the original interior and shifter also, but the shift knob is the 1-piece white with the pattern on it. MY hunch is that it was changed somewhere along the line, but I just wanted a bit more insight before a put a chrome one on it. -- MR

------------------
69 Z/28 X77, Fathom Green, 34,000 Original Miles
69 SS 350, Lemans Blue, 350/300, TH350, 5 X 34,000 original miles :)
(bought it when I was 15)

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Console cars got the chrome ball; non-console cars got the one with the shift pattern on it.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that Camaros never got the white ball, only black.

J

·
0 Posts
Jhon Z is right according to my research. Chrome for console and black ingraved for non. The white ball is incorrect for ither acording to my books. We all know how books are though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just one other little point; the shifter boot retainer plate on factory installed console cars is black, without a factory console it is chrome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts