Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be about 4 wheels I've seen:
- chrome 3 spoke 'spider web'? wheel with choice of horn button to denote Coupe, SS or RS

- black 3 spoke with vinyl shroud (has 2 horn buttons) may have either a chevron bagde or a small SS on center top of shroud

- 'rosewood' plastic and brushed stainless wheel with choice of horn button

- some other kind of wood wheel, three spoke, smaller dia. than the rosewood, seems to be chrome, with a chevron on the chrome horn button. I don't think its a teak wheel... looks a bit too cheezy. But I've seen it on a number of cars now, mostly Ebay. Maybe its an OLD Grant or some such thing.

So, whats correct for an SS? Spider-web or vinyl? I hear both are correct for the Custom interior. Or is it a month-of-build thing? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
582 Posts
68 SS with standard interior came with the Black wheel, two buttons, The center badge is "SS".
Standard car with standard interior came with black wheel two horn buttons, Chevron badge in middle.
Thats all I can be positive with .

Think maybe the smaller wood wheel (non Rosewood) with center cap comes from a Chevelle ???

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
3 steering wheel styles were available in 1968.
1- Standard wheel is three spoke with brushed chrome spoke arms and center horn button (standard, RS or SS emblem). Coupe wheel is round-convertable wheel is slightly oval shaped.
2-N30 "deluxe" wheel; three spoke, painted metal insert with two horn buttons (standard or SS emblem).
3-N34 wood grain (walnut) wheel; three spoke brushed stainless steel spokes, center horn button with one design for all models.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys

·
Registered
722 Posts
The info I've seen, and from what I could base on my car and a buddies 68RS - both cars came factory with the deluxe interior- both cars have the three spoke wheel with the two horn buttons. I believe this is the correct wheel for a deluxe interior car, not a standard interior car, but am curious to see what others have found. I do have a thick camaro book that has it that way, and my buddies 68 is pretty virgin-- his uncle bought it new and never altered it, and he bought it from him in the 70's. -Dan (good topic though!)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, yeah its confusing since I've seen so many variations. Depends what you call a 'Deluxe' wheel it seems. My '68 RS has a bad (wrong) wheel in it and although I prefer the Rosewood, I can't afford it. I'm just trying to figure out which was the stock Deluxe interior one. I'm really leaning towards the black vinyl tri-spoke-with-two-horn-buttons one. Of course it also comes color-matched... Thats the one I saw with the little SS script on the center, in a genuine '68 SS car/Deluxe interior.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was super-helpful. Thanks for the link.
Wow there's some nice member's cars in this forum!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts