Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a standard floor car jack that is a couple of years old. It will no longer lift as high as it did when it was new. I am assuming this is due to air getting into the cyclinder. I have tried to bleed the cyclinder but not having much luck. Is there a correct procedure for doing this and what is it. I hate to pitch the jack for a new one. Any help would be greatly apprechated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
The manual for one of my Craftsman jacks says to remove the fill plug, fill it with jack oil, and remove air from the hydraulic system by opening the release valve and rapidly pumping the jack handle several times, then replace the fill plug.

·
10,164 Posts
Sounds like it is low on oil. Power steering fluid should work in it.

On mine, the hole is on the side and you fill to the hole level. If you totally fill mine by tipping it so the hole is straight up, there is no room for air and the jack will stop raising due to a vaccum in the reservoir. You need some airspace inside to allow the fluid to be pumped out to the cylinder.

Some jacks are vented, but many are sealed and require the air space.

The fill hole is so tiny on my jack, I fill a pump type oil can and pump it in the hole with that.
David

·
Retired
26,950 Posts
Originally posted by JohnZ:
The manual for one of my Craftsman jacks says to remove the fill plug, fill it with jack oil, and remove air from the hydraulic system by opening the release valve and rapidly pumping the jack handle several times, then replace the fill plug.
Hi John,

Can you elaborate or scan and e-mail me the section on filling & changing the hyd fluid from your manual?

I have a sear 3ton that won't extend all the way under load and when I attempt to remove the fill screw it spews fluid. The jack handle is turned in the release position. The fill hole is the larger of the 2 screws at the back of the unit (the one on the left) The smaller one has a warning sticker that says not to adjust. I don't know if mine has been played with, I've turned it and counted the turns and put it back. also unless I clamp a vice frip or pipe wrench on the handle for turning leverage it releases too quick. My thoughts are low on hyd fluid... but It acts like it's too full. I even put it on it's side and was thinking about standing it on it's end but don't think that's right...

thanks in advance,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.