Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now need to understand the correct Postitive Cable wiring for my 68 Camaro 350 with the alternator on the passenger side. The car is quite rigged right now, and does not even have the small radiator support mounted junction block in it. It looks like a new Battery Cable will go to the Starter with the pigtail going to the small junction box on the radiator support. My question is what else connects to that junction block and how to get the hot line to the alternator? I assume a wire goes from the junction block over to the horn relay and on to the rest of the car. My question is where does the alternator red wire line attach in this configuration? Does it also attach to the junction block as a 3rd wire, or does it come back over from the horn relay, or should there be a second pigtail wire on the battery cable, or do I get another wire and somehow attach it to the battery post and over to the alternator. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Geezer,
I helps, but its not crystal clear. It appears as though the single pigtal from the positive side of the battery goes to the Junction Block. From there a wire goes across the radiator support over to the Horn Relay. From there a wire comes back across the radiator support over to the Alternator. (My alternator is on the passenger side.) It seems like there ought to just be a wire from Junction Block over to the Alternator. It would save two trips across the radiator support. Thanks for the link to the diagram.

·
Super Moderator
32,531 Posts
Normal 68 configuration, drvr side alternator, is shown by Geezer's Assembly page.

Your wire routing would be dependent upon physical routing of alt wiring from original. If its across the intake to the new location, aka, 69, then I'd leave it as routed. The least I'd do is to change out the #10 wire for #8 wire, including to the firewall. Otherwise, if you wanted to take a shorter route from the alt, then yes, run a length of #8 wire to the junction block, as a third wire.

The alt BAT wire is is factory crimped in the line from the junction block to the horn relay. From horn relay, a wire goes to the firewall for the car, and a wire to the battery junction block.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts