Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My body man called me today and is ready to paint my 69 camaro. My son and I have selected the cortex silver with the black strips down the hood and trunk.
Can anyone share any paint code info, pictures, etc that might help me make sure I give the right info to the body man?
I sure would appreciate it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The GM code in 1969 for Cortez Silver was 69. The Dupont code for that is 5032. The PPG code is 2059.

I just bought my paint a month or so ago for mine. I bought the PPG. It is painted, cleared, striped, and getting ready to start the color sanding process.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man.........I would like to see a pic of your car. The guy painting mine has blocked it twice and says he plans to block it at least one more time before painting. I think he uses sherwin williams paint (I think).
By the way....a guy told me today to make sure I get the cortez silver that has red and green in the mix to make sure I get the right one as original. I assume the code will do that for me anyway.........right?
thanks again.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ck2............looking good!!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I blocked mine so many times I lost track. I have some pics of it before I started the frame off. Here's one before I started. Keep in mind the car was in good shape but not as good as the pic makes it look. However alot of people that saw the car said I was crazy for doing a frame off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/ck-2/2004_1222carpics20005.jpg

Here's a pic of the hood after paint and clear. It still has to be sanded re-cleared and buffed.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/ck-2/hood.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is so nice. I too was told the same about doing a frame off.......I even had friends say the car was too far gone. Car was disassembled 10 years ago and was in a barn in Monroe, LA when I bought it a year ago. I replaced both full qtrs, reskined the doors, new hood, new trunk pan and one floor plan....new fenders. I got my engine back from the rebuilder last week and adding the stuff to it now like brackets, pump, alt etc all of which was missing when I bought it. It is an RS but I want to put the black strips down the hood and trunk........is that a mistake for me to do........that was Z28 only wasn't it.????????? I really like your strips now and I guess that would be more correct for an RS........right?

·
Registered
912 Posts
The stripe on my car is the SS "Hockey Stripe". My car is an RS/SS.
So to answer your question the stripe on my car is correct for a SS car. The stripe you are wanting to use is correct for a Z28.

So if your car is neither a Z or a SS, I would go with which ever stripe I wanted. I will say from my experience you see alot more of the Z stripes at shows. So it depends on what you want.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it almost like the z strip goes better with cars that don't use the vinyl top but the strip on your car with the vinyl top really looks good.
I don't even like the DX1 strip

·
Registered
912 Posts
I agree that the black vinyl top accent the stripe but you see this stripe on alot of cars without vinyl too.

Go to ebay and look. I just did and there are several cars on there right now with the SS stripe and no vinyl top. It would give you an idea anyway.

Bottom line it's your car do what you will like.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks.........you have been very helpful!!!!!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
By the way....a guy told me today to make sure I get the cortez silver that has red and green in the mix to make sure I get the right one as original. I assume the code will do that for me anyway.........right?
thanks again.
I don't know about the mix. I just know that the GM 69 paint code translates to 5032 in Dupont. And 2059 in PPG. With this info they should be able to cross it over to Sherwin Williams.

Let us know what you go with. I'd be interested in seeing it when it's painted.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Those look like the hands of BondoKing! :cool:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
will do.......

·
Registered
18 Posts
My body man called me today and is ready to paint my 69 camaro. My son and I have selected the cortex silver with the black strips down the hood and trunk.
Can anyone share any paint code info, pictures, etc that might help me make sure I give the right info to the body man?
I sure would appreciate it.

Paint code for 69 cortez silver is paint code 69. Blacking out the tail panel really sets of the car along with the stripes!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am painting my 69 Camaro Cortez Silver as well. I have noticed that there are many different paint codes with the many different paint suppliers. Can anyone tell me which is the best paint to use and the applicable code so that it is closest to the color of 1969

1 - 18 of 18 Posts