Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 RS completely stock with a 327 --

I just ordered my brake kit yesterday and need to find some tires. I was looking at 15x7 for the front and 15x8 for the rear, both would be Corvette Rally Wheels.

Thing is, I read on here some people had problems with them rubbing while turning hard and with big bumps. Is there a way to get around that? I like the wheels, and they are readily available around here pretty cheap, but I don't want to keep replacing tires.

Any help? Or what would you recommend?

Thanks! :)

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,351 Posts
Please check my same issue in Wheels and Tires (Changing from Goodyear F 70 14 to????). South Side Goons & Hitmen pretty much summed it up. He suggested 215 60 15 Tires in the front and 255 60 15 Tires in the rear. Despite the wider rims in the rear (I have 15x7 Torq Thrusts) you should be OK with the 15x8 since you have a backspacing of 4 1/4 inches where I have 3 1/2 inches of backspacing. I hope this helps.
Tory

·
Registered
288 Posts
I previously asked about 15 x 8 Corvette rally wheels and most using them on the front said they have stiffer springs and/or shocks to help prevent rubbing (but it will still happen over higher bumps or hard turns). Some claim they won't rub with drum brakes but definitely rub with disc (disc spindle apparently moves the center axis outward). Love the look of 15 x 8 on all 4 corners myself, but I plan to use 15 x 7 on all 4 corners and 235/60 tires.

Link to thread: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108337

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll check into the stuff you both mentioned.

One thing I forgot to say was the kit has a 2" drop spindle, will that help?

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,351 Posts
With a 2 inch drop spindle, you might want to try a 205 60 15.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!
Yeah, a 2" drop spindle complicates things a bit. 235/60/15 is probably gonna be an issue especially with the back space those Corvette rims have.

Do you have the spindles in and tires on it now?
No, I ordered the kit and was trying to get the tires for it now.

I agree....when my front 225's are ready to be trashed, I will get the 205 60 15s

Kev
Are you using the 2" drop? Did you have to buy new tie rods or anything for it to fit right?

With a 2 inch drop spindle, you might want to try a 205 60 15.
Thanks, looks like those are what I'll get.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
I agree....when my front 225's are ready to be trashed, I will get the 205 60 15s

No, running stock (new) parts. The thing is that going to a 205 60 15 should help the slight rubbing on hard turns and hard bumps. If you look at my car in the thread (link) posted above, you will see how the 225 60 15 tires in the front are both height and width. I will take better pictures this weekend and post them.
Kev

1 - 9 of 9 Posts