Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Camaro Convertible 250 to a LS3 Engine Swap
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question, about to start a build thread and when I list the parts I'm installing should I include the cost of all the items I'm purchasing or do we not want our wives to really know how much we are spending?

My wife already knows how much this is costing and I'm very thankful for having her support.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Just a quick question, about to start a build thread and when I list the parts I'm installing should I include the cost of all the items I'm purchasing or do we not want our wives to really know how much we are spending?

My wife already knows how much this is costing and I'm very thankful for having her support.
No wife's on this site!!! We all would be in trouble. LOL Your call.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think including the real cost would be helpful to some. There really are a lot of things that start to add up quickly. When I did mine I was probably a few thousand over my original estimate but I also decided to do a few things along the way because I wanted to do it one time and the way I wanted it. My wife is awesome and has always encouraged me to not cut corners even though I try to save where I can.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts

My wife is very supportive as is looking forward to the completion of our car.... However, when the boxes of parts show up I'm discounting the stated price by 50%. Seems to be working :grin2:

Reactions: DT

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
I think including the real cost would be helpful to some. There really are a lot of things that start to add up quickly.
LOL, if we knew the "real cost" up front , we might never get started. :laugh:

Reactions: MyRed67 and DT

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Have built dozens of Camaros over 40 years and have had the support of my wife to the point that she wanted one built to order for her. Careful detail to each component when estimating should keep you in your budget, unless of course you change your mind on an item during the build. Having a restoration shop 20 years ago an estimate was critical to making a profit with only changes based on the customers wishes. Its like building a house! Back to the wife's 69 Camaro. First of all we spent time locating a good car to begin with.....a one owner from California....rust free car in 06 for $17K. 14 months, working on week ends and vacation time, the car was finished, never leaving my backyard shop. The budget was $40k and we came in at $500 below that, that includes the $17K. The high point car at every show is a black on white BB, RSSS, AC, tilt, gauges, 4 SPD, 17" Foose on a 2" lowered, 4wdb, the majority of the components are OEM, even the rubber bushings, gas shocks, original radiator and fan/shroud set up on this 450HP chromed out BB. It can be done to your budget and doing the work yourself. . . .these cars are simple to build. Just and old guy talkin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts