Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy who is doing the painting for my 68 RS just told me how much the paint is going to cost. $400 a gallon for paint plus $250 for clear and reducer.

How can Maaco and other shops charge so little when materials cost so much? Do they use a lower quality paint?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here in california, they have banned so many things that even paint with any amount of orange in it has to have the orange smuggled across the border from Nevada! I'm not kidding folks! This may be the case in your state as well but I am not sure. :mad:

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
FFRiccio, he's definitely spec'ing out the better paint. I think that's the price range for stuff like the "Hot Hues" Dupont line, etc.
Don't get me wrong, that's the right price for Hot Hues paint I think, but maybe you could find a factory color basecoat/clearcoat that you'd like just as well!

what color are you looking at? (and brand)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I chose Nason yellow.
This afternoon I picked up some pieces that he edged out for me. The yellow is brighter than the paint chip and I love it. It really shines. I can't wait to see what the whole car will look like after it is finished and buffed...but that will be a long time from now.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I use PPG paints, base coat/clearcoat. Retail for most colors is about $225 a gallon. Reds are more expensive. If you get a bodyshop discount, about $180. Urethane clear is about $178 a gallon retail, the hardner is $78. Discounted it is $136 a gallon and $59 for hardner. Corrosion resistant primer is $145 vs $110, plus the hardner. Unless you are painting your car something other than a stock color, the paint sounds expensive. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
If he's using Dupont Chroma Premiere Basecoat / clear coat, that's about right, maybe a little low. If he is spraying HotHues, I would say more like $600-$800 plus clear, hardner reuducer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Paint is expensive if you want someone to do a quality job. I don't know how good the maeco guys are in your area but if i wanted a show quality paint job I would pay the extra bucks. Remember 90% of the paint job is in the prep...so if you get a solid booth anyone with a steady hand and a good gun can produce a quality paint job with a little experience.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help.

The Maaco around here has produced some good work and some not-so-good work. That is why I chose to go with the guy who will be doing the painting. He was highly recommended by a friend who had this guy paint his antigue fire truck. I have seen the final results of the truck and I have seen the guy's work area. He does great work and he gave me lots of tips on how do do alot of the prep myself in order to save money. He will then do the final prep and make sure everything is straight.

I figured I can't go wrong with someone who does great work and wants to save me money at the same time.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just paid for my paint materials for my 69. The Sherwan Williams products totaled 2072.00... high for what I really wanted but the color on that car.....priceless:yes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts