Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finaly got my electrical hooked up and came across a couple problems.

When i start the car and engage the ignition the key doesnt return on its own to the run position, it starts but i have to manualy pull to back to disingage the starter. I installed a brand new switch and had a locksmith install a new key tumbler, everything is very stiff. What do you guys think is causing this?

The second problem i came across is head lights are working but no tail lights, I have brake lights and fourways but no rear running lights. I did use the old head light switch could this be the problem?

Everything is new in my car except the main harness (i was being cheap), the new stuff is AAW original replacement stuff

Thanks in advance
John

·
Registered
172 Posts
1. The bar that runs from the lock cylinder to the ignition switch is binding in the column some where.

2. When you turn on the headlights/parking lamps check for voltage at the light sockets. If there is voltage the bulbs are bad or the ground in the trunk is bad. If there is none, than check the voltage at the headlight switch for the tailights to ensure you have 12 volts to the switch. If not than the switch is bad.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys

I found a thread describing how to adjust the ignition switch, it helped some but its still sticking, im thinking its the bar that attaches to the switch i tried bending it away from the the column and shaft, it helped a little but i think its rubbing up inside the column, im gonna play with it some more, see if it loosens up some more.

The rear running lights got me messed up though, no running lights but when i hit the brakes all the lights come on including the side running lights, this doesnt seem rite? do you know which wires to check at the connector that are running lights? I think its the BRN

Thanks
John

·
Registered
141 Posts
That sounds familiar, my tail lights were acting goofy and it ended up that I had the wrong bulbs in them. I was just testing my electrical system and had some bulbs laying around and used them. So you might check that out, the ones I tested with were single element bulbs and I needed double. I have a 68 R/S

·
Registered
576 Posts
On a 69, the tail lights are on the same circuit (and wire) as the license plate light and side markers. If those work, then the tail light bulbs may be wrong. They are also on the same circuit as the front marker lights. All wires are brown. If the front works and rear do not, check the wire in the harness going to the back.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Scott and Chuck

You guys are on to something, I just went and checked and sure enough some of the bulbs are wrong, I dont have time tonight to change them but im gonna do it rite after work tomorow. Man I hope thats all it is.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just wanted to thank you all yet again, problems fixed, all my lights are working. It ended up being a little bit of everything you guys suggested I check. I had single element bulbs where I needed dual element, and I checked the connection for voltage and sure enough I didnt have it on one side, turned out the connector came loose a little bit and wasnt connected fully.

I gotta say, I dont know how guys used to do restorations before places like this website existed.

69camaro1, gene, Scott, Chuck and everyone else on this site....Thanks alot guys..

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts