Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been battling a problem with the Courtesy light circuit in my 69 for awhile now. This one has me stumped.

I hook up my test light between the neg. battery cable & neg. battery post and I get a faint glow in the test light. I can pull the Courtesy circuit fuse and the test light goes out. So I know the problem is in that circuit.

So far I've checked:
-Altenator
-Replaced Voltage regulator
-Checked driver & pass. door switches
-The dome light
-The cigarette lighter
-The floor lamp
-The wiring harness connection on firewall
-No radio connected
-No trunk light
-No underhood light

I'm open to any ideas anyone might have......

·
Registered
768 Posts
Rear console light?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
when you connected your firewall connector did you bend any pins?

frequently done!!!!!

also how about your horn relay? is it warm?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a glove box light. As far as I know I didn't bend any pins on the wiring harness @ firewall. The "floor light" I mentioned is actually the rear console light which seems to work OK. I also replaced the horn relay too.

The only thing I can think of is a wire on the Courtesy circuit has a bare spot somewhere under the dash or center console. :confused: :confused:

If anyone can think of anything else, please let me know!

Thanks....

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
you may not have a glove box light, but there is a glove box WIRE that would go to a light if it was ordered. It might be tucked up on top of the glove box or just about anywhere, it may be grounding out after all these years. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,786 Posts
Put the car in a dark garage or view the car at night and look for light.

I'm sure you've thought of this idea.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks Click & Everett,

I will check for a glove box wire and try looking for any "glowing lights" at night...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
it might be time to do this the hard way.

Lighter first, did you actually disconnect the wire from the back of the lighter? if not, try it.

Next, take the bulbs out of all the courtesy lights. Did the test light go out?

If it did, you need to look at the white wire. It goes to all the courtesy lights (including the console) and to both door switches. No where else.

Another thing worth looking at is the drivers side door switch. This one has 2 connections, the white wire fro the courtesy lights, and a second wire who's color escapes me, it is for the key buzzer. The 2 spade terminals on the door switch are supposed to be separated by a lil piece of plastic, so they don't touch. Is it still there?

If you remove the drivers side pin switch (and hold it pushed in), but leave the wires connected, does the light go out?
If you disconnect either wire does it go out?
If it did, the switch is letting those 2 wires touch.

·
Registered
601 Posts
not one never mentioned in circuit is the clock in the circuit is the -clock, lighter,hazard warning and courtesy lamps.hope this helps you

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
*Update*

I got to spend a couple of hours yesterday afternoon on this problem. I did the following:

-Removed the glove box to look for glove box light wire - none found.

-Cigarrette lighter is unplugged.

-Pulled dome light: test light glows.

-Pulled rear console light: test light glows.

-Removed driver's side door switch:Wires looked OK, plastic terminal divider is intact.

-Removed all wires from alternator: test light glows.

-Pulled all fuses except for "courtesy light" fuse: test light still glows.

So at this point, is it safe to say I can rule out the dome light, rear console light & driver's side door switch?

Any other thoughts??

·
Registered
768 Posts
as mentioned before do you have a clock?

how about a digital stereo with memory?

these would both be running off the battery.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No clock or radio.....

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
What happens when you remove the courtesy light fuse? Does the test light go out?

Might try disconnecting the regulator (presuming external). Since you've been through all the fuses, you'll next want to disconnect connectors. One place would be the firewall connector. I *think* the 69 is like the 68 and has a single 3/8" or 7/16" bolt in the center (engine side), then the connector will come apart. You can also disconnect the rear light harness wire. The 68 has a connector behind the driver's floor vent panel behind the e-brake. You may be able to get to it without taking the kick panel loose - I haven't tried that. Are there any accessories under the hood that are unfused like electric fans, relays, etc.? How about an electric choke? Could also disconnect blower wires, AC compressor, tail lights and anything else you can get your hands on.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Problems like this are called a soft short, something unwanted pulling power, but its not enough to blow the fuse. First, if you have anything connected to the BAT terminal at the fuse box, disconnect it, if you have a clock, disconnect it too and retest. Be sure doors are closed when testing or the light will glow. If its still pulling power, disconnect the intermediate/rear harness. This will tell you if the problem is under the dash or in the rear. It is a long plug and should have orange and white wires. The pic is from my chevelle but should look the same.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Greg! I'm guessing the orange/white wire pair is the intermediate harness that runs the interior stuff like dome lights, etc. right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts