Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally woke my 69 vert up from winter sleep.
After priming, started right up, problem is the under dash courtesy lights stay on. Of course it was fine when parked. Tried the headlight switch, pushed in the 2 door jam switches to see if they may be stuck, but no, lights still on. Barring a short, anything else to try, besides taking the bulbs out?
Can't hurt to replace the door jam switches I suppose.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Finally woke my 69 vert up from winter sleep.
After priming, started right up, problem is the under dash courtesy lights stay on. Of course it was fine when parked. Tried the headlight switch, pushed in the 2 door jam switches to see if they may be stuck, but no, lights still on. Barring a short, anything else to try, besides taking the bulbs out?
Can't hurt to replace the door jam switches I suppose.
Gary...since you have a convertible, do the rear right and left corner courtesy lights remain on also? I believe they are in the same circuit with the under dash courtesy lights. If so, one of the door switches may very well be the problem.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Hi Gary
For a very basic description, your Courtesy Lights are a combination of the 20 Gauge/ Orange (12Volt supply) and 20 Gauge/ White Common Ground (If I can call it that ?)

When you Turn your Headlight Switch Knob to Turn On the Courtesy Lights or Open a Door, The White Circuit completes the Current path to Ground and All the Courtesy Lights Illuminate.

Somewhere on the White Side of that Circuit it is going to Ground - Your Headlight Switch, Door Switch or a White Wire is Completing the Circuit (A Short).

There is a Courtesy Fuse - pop that one out, and your Lights should go out,
Put it Back In.

Pull each Door Switch 1 at a Time, The Drivers Door Switch has 2 Wires to it.
If Lights are still on, Than I would Disconnect the Headlight Switch.

If Still on, you have a Short somewhere in the Wiring Harness.

On my Harness, the Orange to the Drivers Switch was Melted.

Timmy

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
The socket that holds the bulb can unseat from the bracket. If the body of the bulb then contacts the bracket it will ground and they'll stay on. Happened to me and others here. Check for that.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good tips. I did pull out the drivers side switch and connections to the 2 sides were good as well as the pass side. I'll try the fuse next. It very may be the headlight switch as the headlights will flicker sometimes at night. I don't see why it would fail, it's only 46 years old lol.

·
Super Moderator
32,533 Posts
Turn headlamp knob counter-clockwise?
Also, to add to others' suggestions here,
With doors closed, keep pulling a bulb until the lights go out - bad bulb in hand, or as suggested, bad fitment in socket.

·
Premium Member
5,317 Posts
Hi Gary
For a very basic description, your Courtesy Lights are a combination of the 20 Gauge/ Orange (12Volt supply) and 20 Gauge/ White Common Ground (If I can call it that ?)

When you Turn your Headlight Switch Knob to Turn On the Courtesy Lights or Open a Door, The White Circuit completes the Current path to Ground and All the Courtesy Lights Illuminate.

Somewhere on the White Side of that Circuit it is going to Ground - Your Headlight Switch, Door Switch or a White Wire is Completing the Circuit (A Short).

There is a Courtesy Fuse - pop that one out, and your Lights should go out,
Put it Back In.

Pull each Door Switch 1 at a Time, The Drivers Door Switch has 2 Wires to it.
If Lights are still on, Than I would Disconnect the Headlight Switch.

If Still on, you have a Short somewhere in the Wiring Harness.

On my Harness, the Orange to the Drivers Switch was Melted.

Timmy
I find this hard to believe, the orange wire is the hot side. It should have blown the fuse as soon as the door was opened if it was connected to the door jamb switch. The driver's side door jamb switch should have a black and a white wire on it, the white for courtesy lights and the black for the key buzzer. The orange wire should go from the fuse directly to the lights, not thru any switches. The white wire is wired to all the bulbs and all the switches in parallel so that if you ground any switch all the lights come on. If pulling the connection from the head light switch and pulling the door switches out and leaving them hang ungrounded does not make the lights go out the white wire is touching ground some place.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
I find this hard to believe, the orange wire is the hot side. It should have blown the fuse as soon as the door was opened if it was connected to the door jamb switch. The driver's side door jamb switch should have a black and a white wire on it, the white for courtesy lights and the black for the key buzzer. The orange wire should go from the fuse directly to the lights, not thru any switches. The white wire is wired to all the bulbs and all the switches in parallel so that if you ground any switch all the lights come on. If pulling the connection from the head light switch and pulling the door switches out and leaving them hang ungrounded does not make the lights go out the white wire is touching ground some place.

Jeff
Jeff
You are 100% Correct and I realize my Melted Orange Wire statement was Confusing.
My Orange was Melted thru at the Drivers side Courtesy light to the Plug if I remember correctly.

My Wiring Harness was Hacked into behind the Drivers Kick Panel.
I have Power Windows, the previous owner took that Circuit Breaker from the Firewall and used it up front on the Radiator Support and Spliced in a Jumper wire from up front to supply 12Volts for the Courtesy lights - Not thru a Fuse.

I had a great time Unsorting what was done to my Car that was not Safe or not on the Wiring Diagram.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Timmy

·
Premium Member
5,317 Posts
No Problem Timmy. I realize a lot of these answers are from memory and I sometimes can't reply because I'm not confident that I remember correctly.

Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts