Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw the ad in Super Chevy for the guage panels from Covan's Classic (www.covansclassic.com) They have had a guage panel for 67-68 for a few months now, and finally a panel is set to come out next month for the 69. No pictures to see yet, I emailed them to see if I could get them to send me a picture of what it will look like...Anyone out there with the inside scoop on this panel? This sounds like just what I'm lookin' for in order to put in my 5" Autometer Tach and Speedo.

------------------
Photos of my 1969 Camaro project car - 383 stroker, T56

http://community.webshots.com/user/rswhite

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have seen a 68 with that gauge panel it it and it looks great. I went one step further with my 69 and sent the instrument panel to Dakota Digital and had them install a complete digital system in it. It is pretty trick and turns heads at the car shows. People look in at the dash and it is black until you turn the key on. I got the blue LED's. The car is indigo blue. It is all a matter of choice.

------------------
69 SS, 350, 4 Speed
75 400, 4 Speed
93 Z28, 6 Speed

·
Registered
395 Posts
I found a pix over on Pro-touring.com

I'm not so sure I like the carbon fiber look...... I'm hoping they will have it in a straight black too. When I see carbon fiber I think Rice !!! Its not even carbon fiber, its just made to look like it.

http://pub59.ezboard.com/fprotouringgmachinesfrm10.showMessage?topicID=862.topic

James..... what about it makes you not want it ??? When I saw the piece at a car show, it was pretty soft, pliable and kind of cheap looking.... is that it ?? I can undestand that. Thats another reason I'm reluctnat about the panel for the '69...

[This message has been edited by DRJDVM (edited 11-17-2002).]

·
Registered
401 Posts
Please don't get me wrong on this...the people at Covan's are great - very helpful and eager to please - I wish that all of the manufacturers of Camaro parts were as approachable. My comments are only my opinion and are based only on my experience with the dash for my '67.

In my opinion the dash has a couple of problems. Firstly, I am not a fan of fake carbon fiber - either you have CF or you do not have CF - this is not carbon fiber. Secondly, I am not a big fan of "CF" bits in an otherwise stock interior - this may work in later model cars or even chevelles and cutlasses, but in 67's and 68's it seems out of place. This is overcomable - I ended up scuffing and painting the dash to match, well, the dash. I have heard that the dash is available in other finishes, but no alternative was offered to me when I bought it, but that was a couple of months ago.

Cosmetics aside, in my opinion, the dash is too flimsy. The ABS is very thin and while this may make it easy to work with (I cut the holes for the gauges with a box knife) it is soft enough to deform under the weight of larger gauges (my 5" tach sags in the housing). If you do are not extremely careful or if you do not reinforce the back of the dash, the hold downs for the gauges can easily deform the abs. The fake CF look compounds this - if you do deform the abs it leaves a stress mark which does not go aaway even if you back the pressure off. Be careful.

The finish is very good, if you like the look you can install your gauges and pop the dash in and have a presentable piece out of the box - in general better then many of the authorized reproduction parts available. The fit is average but if you don't mind flexing things a bit to get the holes to line up, it sits fairly well in place (although a bit offset to the drivers side).

Again, please do not get me wrong, and forgive me if I am being overly critical. The people at Covan's were great and, all things being equal, the dash (at least the 67-68 Camaro dash) does exactly what I guess that it was designed to do - offer an inexpensive alternative to home made.

·
Registered
264 Posts
What if you took the dash piece and painted over it. Would it work or is the dash textured in such a way that it isnt possible?

Thanks
Tim

------------------
69 Coupe, 350ci,Saginaw (might go in might get sold...that is the question,
NO LONGER A RUSTBUCKET FULL OF CASH, Its in the shop!!!!!
Proud to be the youngest member of TC!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got off the phone with John Covan, over at Covan's Classics. Very nice gentleman. We talked for a bit about the 69 insert and he seemed very interested in learning more about what '69 (as well as 67/68) camaro owners are looking for in an insert. I told him about my desire to install a 5" tach and Speedo in my '69, while having my 2 and 1/16" guages (4) located at the front of my center console in my Autometer pod. (the configuration shown on the covan's classics web page shows a 3 and 5/8" tach and speedo, and qty 4 of the 2 an 1/16" guages also in the insert)... John said he would log on and check out Camaros.net to read the postings. So please post here and give John some feedback!

------------------

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
401 Posts
tl757 - The pod is not textured so it is possible to paint it and end up with a piece that is the correct color and texture to match the rest of the dash. I did that last weekend. I should have more pictures to post by the end of the week.

Adivanman

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'd like to see a bigger speedo and tach as well as being able to get 2 5/8 guages for the oil etc...

I guess you have to have that section between the tach and speedo to get the dash pad to fit right. Its too bad they cant just make that section flat across.... I'm going to have to go back and look at the DS&E piece... I dont remember the section in the middle sticking out ......

What I'd like to see..... "non CF look" pieces without having to scuff and paint, and ability to put in larger guages....

·
Registered
395 Posts
The DS&E piece doesnt have a huge piece sticking out between the speedo and tach. It just has a small piece to match to the dash pad. Without that piece, theres alot more space to fit guages of different sizes.....

Basically what I want is a cheaper (i.e ABS plastic) version of the DS&E piece......

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DRJDVM, You and I both want the same thing. I hope John Covan is reading these posts. I told him I'd check back with him after a couple of weeks to check on the development of an insert that would meet these requirements...

------------------

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm also looking for an insert "flat" even one that covers up the heater controls. In the CHP magazine issue, july 2002 brent jacksons car was show cased he had what it sounds like alot of us are looking for.
I found his e-mail and shot a couple his way but he never got back to me.his dash was perfect, 5' gauges an all.

my 69 6spd conv.
www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/hillbridge/72

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like the idea of the gauge holes already there and being able to plug into the existing loom. You know, plug and pray operation
He's also going to be selling blanks for 199 if you want to roll your own.

The only thing I don't like is that fakey looking carbon fiber stuff. I'll need to figure out a way to paint it. Covan, if you guys are reading this, can we get it in another finish?

I'm glad I didn't buy the instrument carrier this weekend at the car show in Raleigh.

Which steering wheel would look good with this panel?...I was thinking about a Rosewood wheel but with the CF panel I'm not so sure the Rosewood wheel would look good.

The website has a pretty good description now of what you get for 799. Sounds like the turn signal and bright light indicators are taken care of. I'm thinking the indicators will be leds that'll pop into the panel. Here it is:
Description:

All new injection molded ABS instrument panel with a carbon fiber finish will replace the original gauge housing. Available with Autometer Ultra Lite Electric gauges, these clusters are complete with wire harness, oil and temp sending units and turn signal and high beam indicators. Speedo sending unit must be purchased separately. Just plug into your stock loom and you’re done. Easy to follow instructions are included. Panels without gauges and panel blanks are also available for custom applications.
Panels have all mounting holes and bosses for heater vent and controls,wiper and headlite switches.
6 Gauge Packages – 3-3/8” 160 mph Speedo and 10,000 rpm Tach 2-1/16” Oil Pressure, Water Temp, Fuel Level and Volt gauges

------------------
Greg
People don't think about what they don't think about.
327 Motor, Camel Hump Heads, Edelbrock 600, Hooker Headers, TH350 Tranny
Hugger Orange 69

[This message has been edited by GMMarkofExcellence (edited 11-20-2002).]

·
Registered
401 Posts
I was able to repaint the carrier with very little trouble. I scuffed the housing with scotchbrite, prepped the abs with Bulldog and they sprayed it with interior paint from Rick's. All things being equal, it came our well and matches the dash. Biggest pain was pulling all the gauges out again...

Adivanman
http://www.adivanman.com

I should have new pictures up on Sunday.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hopefully John and the folks at Covan's will make a "blank" version of the 69 insert...Sounds like a lot of us want what is essentially a plastic version of the DSE unit...and a whole lot less expensive. I hope that the radio area is properly reinforced so as to be able to mount a DIN- style radio there....

------------------

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.