Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note to self...make sure parts fit before you spend money to have them modified.

OK, so I got the cowl induction air cleaner. I brought it to my friend and he cut off the snorkel, patched in the hole and repainted it. It looks great. He did a great job and it looks like it left the factory without the snorkel on it.

So I try to close the hood. Damn things too tall. The hood won't close.

Here's what it looks like with the hood in the position as pictured above.

Do they make these things in different heights?

I have a small block 400
Holley carb
Victor Jr intake
No spacer under the carb.

Other than just starting to cut away some height in half inch increments, anyone have some pointers on how I can modify this easier?

Even if I take off the flat ring that the rubber mounts too, I can't close the hood. It's about 1/4 inch too tall too fully close the hood.

Time saving tips?

·
Premium Member
5,752 Posts
I have a Victor Jr. manifold and Holley 4-barrel carb and mine fits fine. It looks like your spacer ring may be too tall. My spacer ring is 1-3/4" tall overall and lifts the ribber seal off the air cleaner by 1-1/4".
Will the hood close if you remove the spacer ring altogether?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The only difference is the extension for a 302 is smaller at 2" because of the high rise winters forge intake. The 350 is larger. I would check the fit. They only go on one way. Do you have the thing on correctly. Looking at it, I can't see the piece that goes to the valve cover at the back of the passenger side with a grommet and and elbow and hose to hook up.
Is this for a Camaro, and where did you get it?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's mounted the right way. There's a dent in the back that helps it clear the distributor and the PCV tube is towards the rear pass side valve cover.

I bought it from a forum member. He had it for his Camaro, but never use it. Once I got it, I had it modified to get rid of the snorkel.

I didn't know the extra ring came off. It looked like it was permanently mounted to the lower portion. I think if I took that ring off, it might fit fine. I'll try to get that off in the morning. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The spacer ring does not separate from the lower portion. I tried to pull on it and beat it with a rubber mallet. It's not budging. It's a repop piece, so I guess they are different than the original GM parts.

The spacer ring on mine is about 2 1/4 inches tall. Should I cut the spacer ring down to about 1 3/4 inches and see if that works? I'd hate to waste the $200 I have into it by cutting it too short.

·
Registered
108 Posts
the spacer ring should separate from the base unless somebody spot welded it on. if you can lose the top spacer a 1" carb spacer under your base should be very close to the right height. look for the seam on the spacer and grind off the weld and try to peel it out. should come out.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The space ring is a separate piece. Could it have gotten welded (or painted?) in place when your buddy removed the snorkel?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the spacer ring off. It took a lot of beating with a rubber mallet. Also, where the patch was placed, a bit of filler and a small section of the patch was over the seam, so I had to use the dremel tool to cut it free.

Without the ring, I'm getting a full seal on the hood. Here's the final product. Before I start it up, I need to get a rubber plug or cap to seal off the PCV tube. I've already got the PCV routed behind the carb.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
With no snorkel, where's the carb going to get air when the flapper valve in the hood is closed (or is it just open with no valve)?

:beers:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't install the flapper. I got it with the kit I bought, but didn't want the snorkel, so I left it out.

The only downside I could see to not having the flapper would be that in a big downpour, I could wind up sucking water in through the cowl, but I think it would have to be a very heavy rain and this isn't a daily driver, so I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I think the main reason for the underhood snorkel is to to suck hot air at low throttle angles to prevent carb icing. I don't think you'll have problems with carb icing in south Florida...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts