Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I pulled the Astro vent out several years ago, and now I can't remember which direction the cowl plenum duct is installed.
This is a 1968 non-AC Camaro

Q1) I'm assuming the round metal ring stays under the dash (pic1), and plastic part (pic2,pic5) of the ducts go into the cowl hole (pic4).
Q2) Does pic3 assembly look correct?
Q3) The Cowl Duct plastic has two different size rectangle openings. Which is driver/passenger side?

(AIM-p51 doesn't show this very well..)

Attachments

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes, the metal part stays inside the dash and plastic part goes through the cowl opening. The plastic opening on both sides point towards the engine, and that is the correct assembly order. The accordion piece, elbow valve and chrome ball vent holder are all specific to left and right side.

You will have to remove the glove box and speedo cluster panel to install these.

The smaller Cowl Duct (FAN-L19) goes on the drivers side and the larger Cowl Duct (FAN00BBB) goes on the passenger side. The replacement cowl duct gaskets are a perfect fit. a little contact cement to hold it in place is important. I also rebuilt the elbow valve and found the replacement felt (for ball vent) too thick. I had to cut the felt in half in order to get the chrome piece to snap into place. The vent ball is very tight, unable to swivel right now. I'm hoping after it settles the ball vent will be able to swivel.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts