Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but didn't find anything on this...I have a 69 Camaro with a HEI distributor and just bought a new Classic Headquarters cowl induction air cleaner. My problen is that the air cleaner base won't clear the HEI distributor. As you probably know, the base does have a formed indention in back to clear a stock points distributor but, of course the HEI is much larger and needs more clearance. I must have searched wrong or perhaps there are different air cleaner manufacturers because I can't imagine I'm the only person to have this problem. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

·
Registered
827 Posts
you will have to clearance meaning hammer the formed area just a little bit it has been done by many a person. of course the best thing would to put in a points dist. with pentronix.

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
I had the same problem, Try a 1 inch spacer under the air cleaner....worked for me...good luck :D

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Adding a 1" spacer will probably make your hood not want to shut very good with a cowl setup. Either have to modifiy your new base or I would suggest the Pertronix Flamethrower dist. Looks like original and all electronic.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same problem, Try a 1 inch spacer under the air cleaner....worked for me...good luck :D
I thought of that...my flange is 1-1/4" (for 302) so I thought the same size in a carb to air cleaner spacer would keep the seal correct. I can't remember where I've seen those. Can you point me to who sells them or what they are called? Thanks

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
I thought of that...my flange is 1-1/4" (for 302) so I thought the same size in a carb to air cleaner spacer would keep the seal correct. I can't remember where I've seen those. Can you point me to who sells them or what they are called? Thanks
Holley makes them also.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
How much to big is it? I have to put the bottom of my air cleaner in at a slant so the rear of the base fits under the plastic ring on the distributer and the rest goes on normally. I don't know if this would work with yours or not. I have the Performer RPM and the Pertronics HEI distributer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
About 1/4"...I'm picking up a 1" spacer today. If that doesn't work, I'm going with reforming the distributor area on the base. Thanks

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
That is what mine was/is. Try tipping the bottom part under the plastic ring on the distributer. It worked on mine. You also might study the spacers-pro/con, I have heard a lot of performance losses and a few gains. The gains were with the 4 hole spacers for low end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts