Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the cowl induction air cleaners on a Chevelle are the same as a Camaro? Do Camaros with cowl induction use a different coil bracket?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Don't know if the chevelle air cleaner is the same as the camaro. The coil bracket was the same on camaros with the ZL-2 option, but the coil itself was different. A little shorter version I believe.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
The coil itself didn't change with ZL2, but the mounting bracket did (to lean it toward the firewall); the coil "assembly" number was different, as the coil came to the plant already installed in the bracket. Small-blocks with ZL2 (Z28 & L48) took the unique leaned-back coil assembly.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I thought the coil was shorter too. I do know the regular coil did not fit on my car when I added ZL-2. I used an aftermarket piece that fit fine but was slightly shorter. The resto houses sell a different refurbished original GM coil for ZL-2 as compared to non ZL-2 cars.

-Mark.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Air Clearners.....can't speak for all years, but for 69 camaro and 70 chevelle, there are some differences. For most of 69 camaro, the underside of the base is flat. On very late 69 camaro and 70-on chevelle (as wellas replacement 69 camaro) the underside of the base had a 1" wide raised ridge to better seal the air filter.

The ring for the hood seal on 69 camaro was round. For 70 Chevelle, and replacement camaro, it had a flat cut on one side.

For pre-69, the horn faced the front dirver side, for 69 on, it faced the pass side front.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.