Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I know if the cowl induction on my car is working properly? The only time I have seen the flaps move is when i first try to start the car. I'm I just being a pussy with the car or what !!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
You need to troubleshoot the circuit. First check to see if the switch mounted on the accelerator arm is in position and adjusted. Mine was busted and the retainer clip was missing. Have someone floor the gas pedal WITH THE ENGINE OFF and see if the switch is contacting the firewall. If it is, pull off the plug to the switch and check with an ohm meter to see if the two terminals on the switch go from open to shorted when the pedal is pressed. If so, your switch is adjusted and working. Thats a good place to start. If that looks ok, turn the key on WITH THE ENGINE OFF , disconnect the connector going into the hood to the solenoid and have someone mash the pedal WITH THE ENGINE OFF. Check to see if there is 12 volts on that connector. If you do, the system is working correctly and the solenoid is probably bad. If not you may have a bad relay, which should be on the firewall a few inches to the right of the heater core. You should also check the connections at the fuse box where the system gets the 12 volts. If it's a factoy system the harness should penetrate the firewall just above the fuse box and have two connectors that plug into the fuse side of the box. Good luck, let us know what you find.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If it works on the first start its because you are pushing it to the floor to set the choke.Turn the key in the on position and shove the gas pedal to the floor and see if it opens.If it dosent open then jacksz28 has the best idea and a great description of the next process.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the great info. I will try the trouble shooting this weekend and get back to you. Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was in the same situation where I couldn't hear the thing actuate when I stomped on the pedal. Turns out the plastic switch housing was worn and had slipped out of adjustment. I could reach into the engine compartment and press the switch and sure enough the solenoid would kick in. This is done with the ignition key on and engine off. However when I pressed the pedal it would not hit the switch. I fixed this by reseating the switch and adjusting it for about 3/4 full throttle. Warning: The first time I manually pressed the switch I almost hit my head on the hood when I jerked up from the abrupt noise of the solenoid. When reaching in your ear is very close to the mechanism.
Mark
69Z28

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.