Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone out there used a cowl induction hood with a sealed air cleaner that DOES NOT have a snorkel? I was just about ready to pull the trigger on changing my setup to be 100% sealed to the hood (always open, no flapper valve) and was looking at aftermarket sealed a/c bases like the ones that Spectre and RamAirBox make. I was corresponding with the latter and he said that a fully sealed setup with that hood would not flow enough air and that a snorkel a/c had to be used (like the 69 OEM single carb a/c).

This struck me as odd because (I believe) that the early Camaro cowl induction setups (flat hood) did not have a snorkel. I was hoping that someone out there had some real world experience they could share.

Thanks!

-Louie

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Hi,

Has anyone out there used a cowl induction hood with a sealed air cleaner that DOES NOT have a snorkel? I was just about ready to pull the trigger on changing my setup to be 100% sealed to the hood (always open, no flapper valve) and was looking at aftermarket sealed a/c bases like the ones that Spectre and RamAirBox make. I was corresponding with the latter and he said that a fully sealed setup with that hood would not flow enough air and that a snorkel a/c had to be used (like the 69 OEM single carb a/c).

This struck me as odd because (I believe) that the early Camaro cowl induction setups (flat hood) did not have a snorkel. I was hoping that someone out there had some real world experience they could share.

Thanks!

-Louie
The factory cowl induction ("special ducted") hood was designed with a single snorkel for cold weather operation, to provide warmer underhood air for improved cold driveability. The '67-'68 flat-hood cowl inlet system didn't have to deal with that - it was "race car parts" that shipped in the trunk and required metal surgery on the cowl to install it; not intended for normal all-weather street operation. :thumbsup:

:beers:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Rick's Camaros and Groundup restorations only show air cleaners with a snorkel.

http://www.rickscamaros.com/1969+chevy+camaro+ss.html?cat=1711&p=2

http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=camaro-cowlinduction&Per_Page=12&Sort_By=disp_order&Store_Code=ss396&CatListingOffset=0&Offset=0

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
I cannot imagine that the ducted hood system won't provide ample air flow. That's nuts.

Go to the hardware store and get a black rubber bottle stopper that fits inside the snorkel tube. Then you can have constant air flow through the cowl hood and retain the stock appearance of the air filter assy.

Works for me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Attack3,

I removed the snorkel from my cowl induction air cleaner and have been running the cowl only setup for 3 years. Works great. I don't know how to post a picture but I would be glad to send you one if you send me a PM.

Good Luck
Mike

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I've been running a similar setup to what Andrew did for three years now, I created a black plug that is inserted into the snorkel so most if not all don't even see it but it only pulls air from the cowl induction side of the hood. It works just fine, like most others I don't drive the car in extremely cold weather so no cold weather drive-ability issues to worry about.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello John, Anne, Andrew, Mike, and Scott,

Thanks for all this great information!

I didn't think that guidance sounded right, but I was prepared to be wrong! I live in Southern California, so I don't think cold weather startup will be an issue. ;).

Thanks again!

-Louie

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Hi Attack3,

I removed the snorkel from my cowl induction air cleaner and have been running the cowl only setup for 3 years. Works great. I don't know how to post a picture but I would be glad to send you one if you send me a PM.

Good Luck
Mike
Same here, I run the cowl hood AC set up with a dropped carb base. Snorkel is just hanging there , appearance item to me. Preheat tube from manifold or headers is absent.
Cowl flapper is removed but a fine screen is fitting in the flapper frame, to keep birds and such from being pulled in.
Actually , the cowl hood to w/shield is a high pressure point so you get air forced into the cowl opening, as much as you can burn .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts