Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting some information on the factory cowl induction that intered right above the heater core. It was an enclosed air cleaner then a duct that connected to the firewall right about the heater core box (I think, unless the heater core box was removed on these models). I think I've seen them on both first gen Camaros, and some chevelles. Was there a special name for this? What cars recieved this? Does anyone repo this? Pictures of cars that had this? Thanks, Mark

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23

·
3,176 Posts
Aloha theres a pic of one on RICK's 1st Gen online pages. I also have a older mag article that i can scan and send out. I do know that they were not a Camaro only item in the early 60's. There was one on E-bay a few months back but for @K it was to high for this kid
Jeff 67/68 &69 RS's
65 442

·
Registered
15 Posts
If I remember correctly Smokey Unick was the man who designed that particular cowl induction setup for NASCAR cars.

...Ron

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ron, I believe you are correct sir. I found a little more info out about it in the Dec '02 issue of Chevy High Performance. I was also reading some stuff on the net about Smokey, he really knew how to bend the rules in racing.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Mark:
Back in September there was a whole thread that dealt with this issue. It was titled "Custom cold air induction through the firewall"
It contained a lot of information and pictures about this type of induction.
In fact you were involved in the discussion.

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i want that induction setup, but haven't got a couple thousand laying around to buy the actual parts... i think i might make it myself. i like anything that makes my car faster with minimal cash outlay and making it too obvious what has been done from the outside. cowl induction and a flat hood would rule.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16" IROC wheels

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
At Carlisle, I was told that used setups fetch $2500. In the thread that's referred to here, I recall that there is an accurate repro being made and it, too, is around $2500. Lot of money.Maybe this is an opportunity for a skilled fabricator who is amongst us!?

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I love these air cleaners. They can't be that hard to make. I want cowl induction but am sick of seeing cowl hoods on everything in sight. Sorry guys, I do have a cowl hood with air cleaner on my car now, just seems too common. I think a SS hood with this air cleaner would be great. A repro air cleaner for $2500? No thank you

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to build a 68-72 Nova in the near future as a real "Sleeper". I like this type of cowl induction becuase, have you guys ever seen the NOS "Top Shot"? I could hide all the lines in this thing, and no one would ever know I had an extra 150 hp in there, hehe. I know they didn't come on Novas, but it'll still look cool. My brother is really good at metal work so I'm sure we'll make something that looks darn near identicle. I'll post pics when we do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts